Are Coefficients of Kinetic Friction Always Less Than Static Friction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter austin1250
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
austin1250
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Alright, we recently had a lab in class, but our teacher is gone so we didn't do part of it. Anyways, It was about friction and I just have a general question.

Let's say we have a brick sliding on a piece of paper with a constant velocity, and acceleration and net force = 0. I was just wondering on the concept if the coefficiens of kinetic friction are less than those of static friction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Kinetic friction tends to be less than static friction, yes. But I don't know what else to say...
 
yeah that's what I was basiclly asking. Just wondering in that situation Kineitc friction would be less than the staic friction correct? And the more weight or force down on the object to bigger the value in friction correct?
 
austin1250 said:
yeah that's what I was basiclly asking. Just wondering in that situation Kineitc friction would be less than the staic friction correct? And the more weight or force down on the object to bigger the value in friction correct?

Hi austin1250! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

Kinetic friction is always less than static friction.

And the kinetic friction force is always proportional to the normal force. :smile: