Acceleration of object with friction: Homework help

In summary, the minimum force required to start the box sliding from rest is 343 N. After the box starts sliding, the person must continue to apply a force equal to the kinetic friction force of 245 N to maintain a constant velocity. Therefore, the acceleration of the box is 0 m/s^2. This is because the net force on the box is now zero, as the kinetic friction force balances out the applied force.
APphysicsSenior
A 50 kg box rests on the floor. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 0.70 and 0.50, respectively.
a.) What is the minimum force required to start the box sliding from rest?
b.) After the box starts sliding, the person continues to maintain that force. What is the acceleration of the box?

Homework Equations

: μ=Ff/mg Fnet=ma[/B]3. I solved part A by using the force of static friction and my answer was 343 N, but I can't figure out part B. I figured since the net force on my force diagram was zero and the box is sliding at a constant velocity, that the acceleration would be zero, but that isn't correct. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
APphysicsSenior said:
I figured since the net force on my force diagram was zero
The net force is zero only before it begins sliding. Once it starts sliding, what happens to the friction force?

1. How is acceleration affected by friction?

The presence of friction can decrease the acceleration of an object by exerting a force in the opposite direction of motion. This force is known as the frictional force, and it can have a significant impact on an object's acceleration, especially at higher speeds.

2. What factors influence the amount of friction an object experiences?

The amount of friction an object experiences is influenced by several factors, including the type of surface the object is moving on, the weight of the object, and the roughness of the surfaces in contact. Additionally, the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of how easily two surfaces slide against each other, plays a crucial role in determining the amount of friction.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the acceleration of an object?

The coefficient of friction directly affects the acceleration of an object by determining the strength of the frictional force acting on the object. A higher coefficient of friction means a stronger frictional force, which can decrease the acceleration of the object.

4. Can the acceleration of an object with friction ever be greater than its acceleration without friction?

No, the acceleration of an object with friction can never be greater than its acceleration without friction. This is because the frictional force always acts in the opposite direction of motion, and therefore, it can only decrease the object's acceleration.

5. How can I calculate the acceleration of an object with friction?

To calculate the acceleration of an object with friction, you will need to know the net force acting on the object, which is the sum of all forces, including the frictional force. You can then use Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, to calculate the acceleration of the object. Keep in mind that the frictional force must be included in the calculation as it can significantly affect the acceleration of the object.