Are engineering PhDs easier to get into?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, from a maths and physics background, are they easier to get into than something mathematical physics?
binbagsss
from a maths and physics background, are they easier to get into than something mathematical physics? I'm asking because from my experience it was a lot easier, I'm currently enrolled on a PhD in fluid dynamics, (and I am not sure I am enjoying it), but last time I asked on here I was told there isn't really any difference. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ease of getting into a graduate program is more a supply and demand issue.

If the graduate program is not popular and if you have the credentials then it would be a lot easier than one where there are many candidates.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
jedishrfu said:
Ease of getting into a graduate program is more a supply and demand issue.

If the graduate program is not popular and if you have the credentials then it would be a lot easier than one where there are many candidates.
yes, i think that's pretty obvious, but totally avoiding the question at the same time. c

binbagsss said:
i did say that but my experience really is the complete opposite so I'm wonderign of anyone else has insights

So you're going to spam then forum with the same question over and over until you get the answer you want? You could have told us that at the beginning.

Or you could have mentioned that in the earlier thread (the technical term for that is "communication") rather than stopping participating in that thread and starting a new one.

And "experience"? You have none - unless you actually have gotten into an engineering PhD program as well as a physics PhD, and in that case, why are you asking?

PS UK English has sentences. You might want to try them.

Thread is closed for Moderation...

Thread has been cleaned up a bit, and will remain closed. The OP is on a 10-day vacation from PF, and has been reminded not to start any more threads about this same subject. His questions have been answered in his multiple threads on this subject. Thank you to all who were trying to help him. :smile:

1. Are engineering PhDs easier to get into compared to other fields?

It is difficult to generalize as the admission criteria for PhD programs vary across universities and fields. However, engineering PhD programs may have higher acceptance rates due to the demand for engineers in various industries.

2. Is it easier to get into an engineering PhD program if I have a master's degree in engineering?

Having a master's degree in engineering may increase your chances of getting into an engineering PhD program, as it demonstrates your knowledge and expertise in the field. However, admission decisions also depend on other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose.

3. Do engineering PhD programs have lower GPA requirements compared to other fields?

Again, this varies across universities and programs. Some engineering PhD programs may have lower GPA requirements due to the technical nature of the field, while others may have similar requirements as other PhD programs.

4. Are engineering PhD programs easier to get into for international students?

International students may face additional challenges when applying to engineering PhD programs, such as language proficiency exams and visa requirements. However, many universities have specific programs and resources for international students, and some may even have quotas for international students in their PhD programs.

5. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications that make engineering PhDs easier to get into?

Having a strong background in math and science, as well as research experience, can make it easier to get into an engineering PhD program. Additionally, having a clear and well-defined research interest that aligns with the program's faculty and resources can also increase your chances of admission.