Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are functionals united with the vector space which they operate on?

1. May 5, 2010 #1

jaketodd

Gold Member

Are functionals united with the vector space which they operate on? For example, Physics is a functional of Behavioral Psychology. However, Behavioral Psychology does not include Physics. Am I correct?

Thank you,

Jake

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

Is this a joke?

4. May 5, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What does this have to do with "vector spaces"? For that matter what does it have to do with mathematics?

Perhaps it would help if you gave a precise definion for your use of "functional" here.

5. May 5, 2010 #4

jaketodd

Gold Member

I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that functionals could be applied to the abstraction levels of concepts.

Sorry about the confusion; I'm new to these concepts.

What got me asking this question is from Wikipedia: "A spin network, immersed into a manifold, can be used to define a functional on the space of connections on this manifold."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_network

So I guess what I'm really asking is: Is the map the functional provides, on the space of connections on a manifold, united with the spin network that is immersed into the manifold in order to obtain the functional?

Thanks,

Jake

6. May 5, 2010 #5
    Also, could you give us a mathematical meaning to "united"?

7. May 5, 2010 #6

jaketodd

Gold Member

The best I can do is try conceptually: In the concept of spacetime, space is united with time. Does that bring to mind a mathematical representation?

Thank you for bearing with me,

Jake

8. May 5, 2010 #7
    Lol, this is really funny actually. No offense, but you're not making any sense. :) . These math concepts have very precise meanings... if you want a philosophical discussion, you should ask in the philosophy forum. :)

9. May 6, 2010 #8

jaketodd

Gold Member

But isn't everything representable with math?

10. May 7, 2010 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, why in the world would you think so?

11. May 8, 2010 #10

jaketodd

Gold Member

What can't be defined with math? That's kind of a philosophy question, and I can already hear objections to this thread turning into that. So if you don't want to, don't worry about not responding.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook