Are Labia Majora and Mons Pubis Paired Structures?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Suraj M
Gold Member
Messages
596
Reaction score
39
Many books says that Labia minora are paired flaps.
I didn't see it mentioned that Labia majora is paired.
It might be a silly question to ask if the Labia majora are paired or not because firstly it's ## Majora# -plural so it must be paired but then again.
Our books also say that they are extensions of the Mons pubis.
To add on to that we also found a question which said that Labia Majora and mons pubis are not paired.
Could anyone explain?
Thank you
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Well, the labia majora certainly are a pair...

The Mons pubis is not.

Have you examined the diagrams of these parts? It should be fairly obvious.
 
Well that's the problem
It's looks like it's paired but if they are extensions of the mons pubis, I don't think then they could be called paired
Minora are definitely paired
I say this after seeing a question which was about which of the following is paired
The options had both Labium majora and minora answer was minora only
 
Suraj M said:
I say this after seeing a question which was about which of the following is paired
The options had both Labium majora and minora answer was minora only
Hrmm. Was this in the same textbook that said the ovaries are closer to the isthmus than to the infundibulum? o_O

I suppose the Mons pubis and majora form a single, semicircular mound encircling the labia minora.
 
No, that wasn't in a textbook, that was in some question paper of some state PMT(Pre med)
This question was in another states PMT.
 
Suraj M said:
It's looks like it's paired but if they are extensions of the mons pubis, I don't think then they could be called paired
Minora are definitely paired

Are the gluteus maximus considered paired? They would seem to have a similar overall structure compared to the outer labia and mons.
 
berkeman said:
Are the gluteus maximus considered paired? They would seem to have a similar overall structure compared to the outer labia and mons.
o_O They seem to me to be two entirely distinct muscles.
 
DaveC426913 said:
o_O They seem to me to be two entirely distinct muscles.
Which two?
 
Suraj M said:
Which two?
The left gluteus maximus and the right gluteus maximus.
%7BF90CF2DE-9159-43FA-B441-B015A6F50E26%7D.JPG
 
Well yes they are 2 different muscles with similar function, I'm not quite getting your point.
 
Suraj M said:
Well yes they are 2 different muscles with similar function, I'm not quite getting your point.
I am addressing berkeman's suggestion in post 6.

He wonders if the g. maximus are similar in structure to the labia and mons and therefore also unpaired.
It seems to me that there is no comparison between g.maximus and l.majora / p.mons.