1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Are Lecture Notes Useful for studying?

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    One day I borrowed a book published by Springer (For learning Mechanics). I find it very difficult to follow. Later, I discover that it is in fact Lecture Notes. I am only a yr 1 physics student, but I want to explore as many area in physic as I can.
    My question is, are Lecture Notes such as Springer suitable for me?

https://www.amazon.com/Topology-Geometry-Gauge-fields-Foundations/dp/1441972536/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1322839400&sr=1-1&tag=vglnk-c905-20

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    This textbook that you're referring to is an upper-year or even graduate level text on mechanics.

I haven't read this text myself but from that description alone it tells me this is definitely not a 1st year text.

This is DEFINITELY not suited to your current level.

Get Halliday & Resnick or even Sears & Zemansky to start with.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    I don't think you are going to be able to read that book at your level unfortunately. I think many "lecture notes" will be readable but those assume too much background.

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who reccomended this book to you ? The Lecture Notes series from Springer is not for class study, the books are tipically ment for graduate and PhD study.

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is, however, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, that is quite applicable.

7. Dec 4, 2011 #6
    I read a book call "Why Beauty is Truth", which talks about the history of physics and maths. I find that in the recent year, physics involve a lot of group theory and topology, therefore, I am interested in what is group theory and topology. But I don't know where can I start.

Are there any books suitable for me? (I mean to learn about group theory, books which are really easy to understand)

8. Dec 4, 2011 #7
    I form a physics group with 3 other students, they are all physcis lover. With our group work, we finish Special Relativity and now we are working on Lagrangian mechanics (studying very basic equations).

One day I introduce them the terms group theory and topology, they are all very excited. So can you recommend some books about group theory and topology that can cure our hunger?

9. Dec 4, 2011 #8
    https://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Classical-Mechanics-Graduate-Mathematics/dp/0387968903

This book is only somewhat about topology and group theory but it is very beautiful and I actually recommend you finish a bit more Clasical Mechanics before moving on (you say you are studying lagrangian mechanics now). If you guys are advanced I actually think your first book is fine. I think you just need to study a little more physics before reading it. I really think you should study more Quantum and classical mechanics to understand gauge theory.

10. Dec 4, 2011 #9
    Group theory and topology are big subjects.

For group theory, you might try A Book of Abstract Algebra by Charles C. Pinter, Symmetry by Hermann Weyl, Galois Theory by Ian Stewart, or Groups and their Graphs by Magnus and Grossman.

Although I am a topologist, I don't really know what the good books are for beginners, since I came at it from a traditional math major's approach, starting with real analysis, and then learning point-set from Munkres Topology.

Maybe you could try Intuitive Topology by Prasolov.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook