Are Multiple Allelism and Gene Polymorphism the same?

In summary, there is no clear difference between multiple allelism and gene polymorphism. Both terms refer to the presence of multiple variants or forms of a gene, either within a population or within an individual. The definition of multiple allelism may vary slightly depending on the source, but it essentially means having more than two alternative contrasting characters controlled by multiple alleles at a single genetic locus. Gene polymorphism, on the other hand, can refer to any variation in DNA sequences within a gene or at specific loci on chromosomes. However, both terms are used interchangeably and can be considered as an extended form of polymorphism.
Rongeet Banerjee
Is Multiple Allelism and Gene Polymorphism same ?If not
16094256623501401937315.jpg
then why?

Likes docnet
Biology news on Phys.org
If there is a material difference it is extremely subtle. Perhaps @Ygggdrasil may wish to comment. They are essentially the same thing as far as I can see. Polymorphisms such as RFLPs and VNTRs are polymorphisms at specific loci within genes resulting in a gene polymorphism ie. gene having different DNA sequences within a population without impairment of gene function. That is also the definition of a multiple allele. While multiple alleles could result from sequences that differ at different loci within the gene that would still result in a gene polymorphism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes atyy and BillTre
In Thompson & Thompson Medical Genetics (2015):
multiple allelism is the state of having more than two alternative contrasting characters controlled by multiple alleles at a single genetic locus.

So, you can get somewhat different perspectives on definitions. i.e., 3 different alleles minimum. Each with different effects.

edit: fix grammar

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
In Thompson & Thompson Medical Genetics (2015):
multiple allelism is the state of having more than two alternative contrasting characters controlled by multiple alleles at a single genetic locus.

So, you can get somewhat different perspectives on definitions. i.e., 3 different alleles minimum. Each with different effects.

edit: fix grammar
For Multiple Allelism, we have studied example of Blood Groups.
Can you give me an example for Gene polymorphism.

I think you missed the point. This is not an either/or thing, it is arbitrary, a human concocted defintion, a way to cubbyhole things.

You asked if there were different definitions. There are. Think of multiple alleles as an extended form of polymorphism.
Example:
Consider Gregor Mendel's pea experiments. He classified what he saw as dominant and recessive.
In other words polymorphic. There is your example. It turns out that other varieties of peas have additional genes at the "wrinkled" locus. He could not have known that. So his experiments show 2 alleles.

Likes BillTre
Rongeet Banerjee said:
For Multiple Allelism, we have studied example of Blood Groups.
Can you give me an example for Gene polymorphism.

I don't think there is any difference between an allele and a polymorphism. There's similar usage in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allele: "At the lowest possible size an allele can be a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP)." and the reference they cite https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC102496/.

Here's a pretty clear example: "If a SNP occurs within a gene, then the gene is described as having more than one allele." https://www.nature.com/scitable/definition/snp-295/

Last edited:
Likes Rongeet Banerjee and jim mcnamara
It appears to me that the terms "allele" and "polymorphism" are used to refer to 1) different phenotypic expressions of a particular genetic trait (eg. colour), 2) different DNA sequences for a particular gene and 3) different DNA sequences at particular locii on chromosomes. It may be that as knowledge of genes and DNA and protein expression evolved, the meanings attached to these terms evolved as well.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee

1. What is multiple allelism and gene polymorphism?

Multiple allelism refers to the presence of more than two alleles for a particular gene in a population. Gene polymorphism refers to the occurrence of multiple forms of a gene within a population.

2. Are multiple allelism and gene polymorphism the same thing?

No, they are not the same. Multiple allelism refers to the number of alleles for a gene, while gene polymorphism refers to the occurrence of different forms of a gene.

3. How are multiple allelism and gene polymorphism related?

Multiple allelism can lead to gene polymorphism, as the presence of multiple alleles for a gene allows for the expression of different forms of that gene within a population.

4. What are the implications of multiple allelism and gene polymorphism?

The presence of multiple alleles and gene polymorphism can lead to genetic diversity within a population, which can be beneficial for species survival and adaptation to changing environments.

5. Can multiple allelism and gene polymorphism be observed in humans?

Yes, multiple allelism and gene polymorphism have been observed in humans for various genes, such as the ABO blood group gene and the HLA gene complex.