Are my GRE scores acceptable for PhD in Optics?

Sharvari
Hello Everyone!
I am Sharvari from India, interested in quantum and non linear optics and wish to pursue PhD in this domain. I am looking forward to active discussion on the grad school discussion forum as I will be applying for grad schools this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Sharvari
I am an International Student applying in the US for graduate schools this year.
I got 310 in General GRE - 142V (17 percentile), 168Q (94 percentile) and 4.0 AWA (60 percentile).
My undergraduate CGPA is 8.1/10
My verbal score is quite low. Will this affect my admission in Universities like Rochester, UCF, Arizona as these are the places offering best labs in optics?
How important is Verbal score?
Should I reconsider applying to universities like university of Maryland just because of my low GRE score?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hi Sharvari! I'm currently an undergrad in the optics program at the University of Arizona. If you'd like, I can try to ask around and see what the professors and/or grad students have to say. However, I can't imagine it would hurt you to go ahead and apply to all the schools you are hoping to get into.

Likes DS2C and S.G. Janssens
I got 310 in General GRE - 142V (17 percentile), 168Q (94 percentile) and 4.0 AWA (60 percentile).
Although you have a high score on the Quant. Reasoning section, your scores on the Verbal Reasoning and Analytical Writing parts are very low, which you mentioned.

My undergraduate CGPA is 8.1/10
A graduate school would also be interested in your GPA in your major area.
Will this affect my admission in Universities like Rochester, UCF, Arizona
I would think that your VR and AW scores would cause the admissions people at these schools to question your ability to succeed in their programs, all of which are taught in English. I don't think it would hurt to apply, but if you aren't accepted, you shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
Sharvari
Hi Sharvari! I'm currently an undergrad in the optics program at the University of Arizona. If you'd like, I can try to ask around and see what the professors and/or grad students have to say. However, I can't imagine it would hurt you to go ahead and apply to all the schools you are hoping to get into.
It would be really helpful if you could tell me about the admission procedure for international students in University of Arizona.
Especially based on cutoffs for Verbal section of GRE and TOEFL and others.

Sharvari
Although you have a high score on the Quant. Reasoning section, your scores on the Verbal Reasoning and Analytical Writing parts are very low, which you mentioned.

A graduate school would also be interested in your GPA in your major area.
I would think that your VR and AW scores would cause the admissions people at these schools to question your ability to succeed in their programs, all of which are taught in English. I don't think it would hurt to apply, but if you aren't accepted, you shouldn't be surprised.
My GPA in Physics courses is 7.9
I will be giving my TOEFL this Saturday.
I am hoping to get more than 105/120 in it.
Won't TOEFL test my ability to read, comprehend and speak in English?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It would be really helpful if you could tell me how the admission procedure is in University of Arizona.
Especially based on cutoffs for Verbal section of GRE and TOEFL and others.
I'll see what I can do. If you don't hear from me in a few days, feel free to send me a private message.

Likes S.G. Janssens and Sharvari