1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are q and q' dependent variables in Lagrangian or not?

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    Hi.

I have thought that the variables q and q' in L = L(q, q') are independent. (q' = dq/dt)

Of course q and q' are functions of time t , but they are only dependent in terms of t .

However, in the sight of general(or abstract? I mean, not specific) functional L(q, q'),

q and q' are just independent variables of L .

Only after L is determined by using calculus of variations, they are dependent.

Here is more detailed logic of mine.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1a) Think about the coordinates (x, y, z). All x, y and z are independent thus they can make the coordinates. And there are infinite possible functions z = f(x,y).

2a) Let's choose a specific function among those infinite possible functions, say, a line (x, y, z) = (s, s, s)
    where s is a parameter. Then, by considering this function, x and y are no longer independent because
    x=y on this line.

1b) There is a coordinates (q, q', L). There are infinite possible functions L = L(q, q').
    And We don't know what path the particle will follow. When q=1, q' can be 1 or 100. When q=2, q' can be 1.1 or 500. This means that there are infinite possible paths, or physical laws.
    On each path q and q' are dependent. But considering all the paths, eventually it means q and q' are independent variables.

2b) In 2a, we chose a specific function. Here, in Lagrangian, it is same to adding a condition, the principle of least action, which yields the Euler-Lagrange equation.
    By this condition, a specific Lagrangian L is chosen, which makes q and q' dependent.
    And this also means that among those infinite possible paths, we chose a specific path, which can be said that we chose a specific law, Newton's 2nd law, among those infinite possible physical laws.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this logic wrong or not?

Please point out where I am wrong. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Logic is just fine. Lagrangian has independent variables ##q## and ##\dot q## (and possibly others). Euler-Lagrange equations establish a relationship and you get the equations of motion.

Compare the mechanical energy of a mass on a spring: E is a sum of spring energy, gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. So the independent variables are ##y## and ##\dot y##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook