Are set notations simplifyable?

• B
  • Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Sets
In summary: I will definitely look into these topics to further my understanding of set notation simplification. In summary, there are various identities and rules, such as De Morgan's Laws, that can be used to simplify set notations and express sets in different forms. Some examples of these forms include the Conjunctive Normal Form (CNF) and Disjunctive Normal Form (DNF). It may also be helpful to look into the history and foundations of set theory to gain a better understanding of the topic.
lioric
TL;DR Summary
I tried to name the shaded area of a Venn diagram using numbers to isolate the regions. And I found that there are several ways to get the same region.
Can the set notations simplfy
I tried to name the shaded area of a Venn diagram using numbers to isolate the regions. And I found that there are several ways to get the same region.

Physics news on Phys.org
lioric said:
Summary:: I tried to name the shaded area of a Venn diagram using numbers to isolate the regions. And I found that there are several ways to get the same region.

What notations do you mean? Your question is very unclear. If the shaded region is common to sets A and B, the notation ##A \cap B## represents the intersection of the two sets. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theory.

Mark44 said:
What notations do you mean? Your question is very unclear. If the shaded region is common to sets A and B, the notation ##A \cap B## represents the intersection of the two sets. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theory.
What I mean is for instance ##A \cap B## is equal to ##(A' \cup B')'##
It indicates the same area.
Is there a way to simply this. Like the way fractions get simplified or algebra gets simplified

lioric said:
Is there a way to simply this. Like the way fractions get simplified or algebra gets simplified
Yes, essentially one can use much of the apparatus of boolean algebra/logic to describe what you are talking about. So because "intersection" corresponds to "+" and union corresponds to "." ... they should be enough to describe any possible "areas of intersection" for arbitrary finite number of sets n with A1,A2,A3,...,An.

But several other operations should be enough too.

There are many identities within set theory that can give you different representations of the same area. I believe that the smallest parts of the Venn diagram are traditionally referred to as the conjunction (connected by 'and') of the main sets A, B, C,... , A', B', C',...

To expand a bit on the last post if we had five "atomic propositions" ##a,b,c,d,e## then an expression like:
##(a\cdot b \cdot c \cdot d \cdot e)+(a \cdot b \cdot c \cdot d \cdot e')+(a \cdot b' \cdot c' \cdot d \cdot e)##
would change to [replacing the lower-case letter case letters to upper-case to highlight them as sets]:
##(A\cap B \cap C \cap D \cap E) \cup (A \cap B \cap C \cap D \cap E') \cup (A \cap B' \cap C' \cap D \cap E)##

And, for example, any identity has a counter-part in propositional algebra (and vice versa). For example:
##A \cap B= (A' \cup B')'##
changes to following equivalent in propositional expression/equation:
##a \cdot b= (a' + b')'##

There are many ways to simplify these expressions, and there is not always a unique shortest way to describe a set. The one from the post above can be simplified to:
$$(A\cap B \cap C \cap D) \cup (A \cap B' \cap C' \cap D \cap E)$$
using the rule
$$(X \cap Y) \cup (X \cap Y') = X$$

Likes sysprog
mfb said:
There are many ways to simplify these expressions, and there is not always a unique shortest way to describe a set. The one from the post above can be simplified to:
$$(A\cap B \cap C \cap D) \cup (A \cap B' \cap C' \cap D \cap E)$$
using the rule
$$(X \cap Y) \cup (X \cap Y') = X$$

Could you tell me which topic of mathematics teaches these. Or subtopics
I would like to brush up on them
Thank you very much

lioric said:
Yes. Look up De Morgan's Laws -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Morgan's_laws

Likes FactChecker
Likes lioric
You would be opening some boxes: Cantor, Zermelo, Frankel, Gödel, Russell, Euler, Boole -- searching on any of those names would lead to a sea of set-theory results -- I think that you would do well to look at Cantor's diagonal argument en route to getting a feel for the territory.

Likes lioric
Thank you all for your help

1. What are set notations?

Set notations are mathematical representations used to describe collections of objects or elements. They typically involve the use of braces { } and commas to list the elements of a set.

2. How do set notations simplify mathematical expressions?

Set notations allow for the concise representation of complex mathematical expressions. By using set operations such as union, intersection, and complement, they can simplify and condense equations and expressions.

3. Can all set notations be simplified?

No, not all set notations can be simplified. Some sets may have complex or infinite elements that cannot be further simplified using set operations.

4. Are there any rules for simplifying set notations?

Yes, there are rules for simplifying set notations. These include the associative, commutative, and distributive properties, as well as De Morgan's laws. These rules help to simplify and manipulate set expressions.

5. How can understanding set notations benefit a scientist?

Understanding set notations can benefit a scientist in various ways. It can help with organizing and analyzing data, representing relationships between variables, and simplifying complex mathematical expressions in scientific research and experiments.