Are Six-Figure Salaries Common in Engineering Fields for Industrial Mathematicians Specialized in Nonlinear PDEs?

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ideaspace
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Engineering Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ideaspace
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am a senior in college, and I am getting ready to apply for grad school @ UIC. I want to get a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. I like all 4, but I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a skethcy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ideaspace said:
I am a senior in college, and I am getting ready to apply for grad school @ UIC. I want to get a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. I like all 4, but I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a sketchy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.
Based on personal experience - yes. Senior professionals in those 4 areas are compensated along the lines as one's query - at least those with whom I am familiar.
 
ideaspace said:
...I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a skethcy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.

Can a senior industrial mathematician be paid six figure salaries? Sure. Will YOU be paid a six figure salary? That's a different story. The sketchy picture you see is because you need to think like an entrepreneur --and not everyone does.

Please don't take this the wrong way, BUT:

1) Education doesn't entitle you to anything.
2) At the end of the day, you need to bring a commensurate value to the table, or you won't be employed.
3) This is not some damned merit badge. Real life is not about what you know. It's about what you DO with with you know.