Are T1 and T1' the same tension in a pulley system?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rashida564
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pulleys Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 5K views
rashida564 said:
a1=2a2
T1-m1g=m1a1=2m1a2
T2+T3-(M+m2)g=m2a2
Those equations are not consistent in regard to which ways are positive for the accelerations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think now I got it. By putting one of the linear equation as negative. namely : m1g-T1=2m1a2.
For here I added two equation T1-T2+(m1g-T1)=Ma2+m1a1
or m1g-T2=Ma2+2m1a2
For this I can find T2=m1g-Ma2-2m1a2
then I can also find T3, 2T2-2T3=Ma2
Or T3= (2T2-Ma2)/2
which is cool thing since T2 is expressed purely in terms of m, M,a and g.
Using the last equation T2+T3-(M+m2)g=m2a2
And substitute value of T2 and T3. Hopping I didn't make any mistake I will get that
a2=1/m2(((3m1-5m1a2)/2) + (M+m2)g )
And I can also find a1. which is just twice a2
 
rashida564 said:
a2=1/m2(((3m1-5m1a2)/2) + (M+m2)g )
This is indecipherable. There appears to be a term (3m1-5m1a2), which makes no sense. You can't subtract a force from an acceleration.
Please use parentheses as appropriate and either use LaTeX or use subscripts (use the ...▼ pulldown) and multiply out as necessary to avoid the divisions.
Also, for it to be an expression for a2 you should arrange that a2 does not occur on both sides of the equation.