1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding block and pulley system with inertia

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    This problem is an example from Mosca and Tipler, 9-13, 6th edition. I believe the books equation for the acceleration of the system is incorrect according to my work... Anyway, here goes

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Two blocks are connected by a string that passes over a disk pulley of radius R and moment of inertia I. The block of mass m1 slides on a frictionless, horizontal surface; the block of mass M2 is suspended from a string over the pulley. Find the acceleration of the blocks and the tensions. The string does not slip on the pulley."

2. Relevant equations
    Non slip, so: a=r*α
    For pulley: r(T2-T2)=I*α
    For block 2: m2g-T2=m2*a m2=mass two
    For block 1: T1=m1*a m1=mass one

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, for the pulley: T2-T1=(I*α)r, and therefore: T2-T1=(I*a)/r^2 (substituting a/r=α).

I added the above equation to the two others so the tensions would cancel:

so: m2*g=(m2+m1+I/r^2)*a

so: a=(m2/(m2+m1+I/r^2))*g
    The books says the the third term in the middle parentheses is (I/r)^2....how is this possible??? Shouldn't it be I/r^2??? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the dimensions - you can only add a mass to m1 and m2, so a term ##I / r^2## is acceptable, a term ##(I/r)^2## is surely not.

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3
    Everything looks correct.

You're right, from the torques acting on the pulley you get:

T2-T1=[(Mass of the pulley)*R*α]/2 = (I*α)/R

and from the no slip condition you know that α=a/R therefore

T2-T1=[(Mass of the pulley)*a]/2 = (I*a) / R^2

and solving for a, you get:
    a=(m2/(m2+m1+I/R^2))*g, which is what you did.

5. Nov 30, 2015 #4
    BvU is right!

6. Nov 30, 2015 #5
    Awesome, thanks guys! I will send Mosca and Tipler a "tip" on how they can rewrite their physics book haha. We use it for engineering here at UW Seattle :) Again, really appreciated :) :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted