Are the following functions? Give domain and range

In summary, the conversation discusses whether two given relations, A and B, are functions. A is determined to be a function, with a domain of positive real numbers and a range of all positive numbers except 0. B, on the other hand, is not a function as y is not a function of x, but x is a function of y. The discussion also touches upon the convention of taking the positive square root in the context of determining functions.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

State if the following is a function. If yes, write domain and range.

A. {(x,y): y=(x^1/2) ; x,y are real numbers and x>0}
B. {(x,y): y^2=x ; x is real numbers and x>0}

Homework Equations

A relation is called function if each element of the domain necessarily has a unique (one and only one) image in th range.

The Attempt at a Solution

My book says, A is a function.
Domain= Set of positive real numbers
Range= R+ - {0}

But I think that A is not a function as for say x=25, y=+5 or -5. 2 images, isn't it? Then how can it be a function.

As about B my book and me both have the same opinion. B is not a function.

Pleas help me to figure out if I am right!

Physics news on Phys.org
Disagree. A is a function. 25^(1/2) is 5, if indeed a really is y=x^(1/2).

Obviously, y^2=x is not a function, because x will have two values in that case (graph y = sqrt(x) and y1=-(sqrt(x)).

You're thinking of the other way around. As Orbital Power said, the + or - square root idea applies to when you have one term squared and then you take the square root of the other side. It doesn't necessarily go the other way in this case, though. What you are given is ONLY the positive square root. Every positive number you put into a positive square root is going to be just that. Whereas if you start by taking the square of each side, you have to do the plus or minus square root idea. Why? Well, think about part B. Using your example, both y=-5 and y=5 will result in the same x value. But when you take the positive square root of a number, can you truly come up with a negative? There is no negative outside of the root to change the value and having a negative under a square root results in... funky things that aren't simply negative numbers...

If it helps, graph it on your calculator. You'll see that for all positive values of x, a positive value of y corresponds to it.
Now, for the second part, it goes back to the idea of starting with y^2 and getting the graph of sqrt(x) and -sqrt(x) together. You already know that, though =) Just remember it doesn't go both ways, so to say.

Last edited:
Ritwik06 makes a valid point. By convention,when the square root of a variable/number is asked, we take the positive value. But the root of 25 IS both 5 and -5. I would say that, ignoring convention, y=x^(1/2) is not a function. But since the textbook almost certainly means (by convention) the positive square root function, y=sqrt x is a fcn.

Go with what Seichan says, but now you know the deal behind it all... ;)

Now I really wonder if 'B' really is a function or not... It doesn't seems to be so??!

I think Ritwick06 has a right problem!

Quote from Seichan:
If it helps, graph it on your calculator. You'll see that for all positive values of x, a positive value of y corresponds to it.

Why should it be so?

The problem should have been phrased "is y a function of x". In B, y is not a function of x but x is a function of y.

1. What do you mean by "functions" in this context?

In mathematics, a function is a relation between a set of inputs and a set of possible outputs with the property that each input is related to exactly one output.

2. Why is it important to determine whether a given set of inputs and outputs are functions?

Determining whether a set of inputs and outputs are functions is important because it allows us to understand how different variables are related and to make predictions about their behavior. It also helps us to identify any potential errors or inconsistencies in our data.

3. How do you determine the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible values that the input variable can take. It can be determined by looking at the inputs given in the problem or by identifying any restrictions on the input variable. The range of a function is the set of all possible values that the output variable can take. It can be determined by looking at the outputs given in the problem or by analyzing the behavior of the function.

4. Can a function have the same input mapped to multiple outputs?

No, by definition a function must have each input mapped to exactly one output. If the same input is mapped to multiple outputs, it is not considered a function.

5. Is it possible for a function to have an infinite domain or range?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have an infinite domain or range. This means that the input or output variable can take on any real number, including positive and negative infinity.