1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the following Sets: Open, Closed, Compact, Connected

Tags:
  1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok I created this question to check my thinking.
    Are the following Sets: Open, Closed, Compact, Connected

Note: Apologies for bad notation.

S: [0,1)∪(1,2]
    V: [0,1)∩(1,2]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Closed - because 0 and 2 represent boundary points
    Compact - because S is closed and bounded
    Not Connected - because it can be separated into two open disjoint sets [0,1) and [2]

Open - because the set is (1)
    Not Compact - because it is open
    Connected - because it cannot be separated into two open disjoint sets

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2
    Another definition of closed is that the set contains its limit points. I can think of one limit point of S that is not in S. Are you familiar with the definition of a ball or some books call it a neighborhood.

As for V, as written, V is empty. The ")" means everything up to, but not including.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    Yes I am aware of a ball. It is used in my book to explain the concept of an open set.
    But even so, I thought it was closed, because for the Union I get [0,2] which is, as I understood it, by default closed, given that it includes the boundary points namely, 0 and 2?
    What am I missing? What example do you have?

As for V . . . didn't realise the intersection there is the null set . . . really thought it was 1 . . . damn.

Thanks.

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4
    You're getting confused on your interval notation. 1 is not in your set S as written. 1 is not in [0, 1) and 1 is not in (1,0]. But any ball centered at 1 will intersect your set non-trivially, thus 1 is a limit point but it is not in S. So S is not closed.

Also, closed and not open are not the same thing, a set can be both closed and open or neither open nor closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted