Are the GRE books and aids worth it?

• Studying
  • Thread starter JonF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Gre
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of GRE books and aids for a math major. While some people believe they are beneficial, the speaker suggests that there is plenty of free material available on the GRE website and through library books. They also mention that the only potential benefit of using aids is for vocabulary, which can be practiced for free.
JonF
Are the GRE books and aids worth it for a poor starving math major? I’ve heard they don’t help at all and they are the best thing ever from various people.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think they're worth it. There's plenty of free material on the GRE website. If you use all of it, I can't imagine needing more, or even wanting more.

You can check books out from the library too. I think, beyond knowing the format of the test, (which you can do free) the only thing aid can help is vocabulary. For the SATs I had a "word flash" book that was cheap and cool.

1. Is it necessary to purchase GRE books and aids?

No, it is not necessary to purchase GRE books and aids. However, they can be helpful in preparing for the exam and improving your score.

2. Are the GRE books and aids effective?

The effectiveness of GRE books and aids depends on the individual. Some people may find them helpful in understanding the material and practicing for the exam, while others may not find them as useful.

3. How do GRE books and aids differ from other study materials?

GRE books and aids are specifically designed for the GRE exam, so they may cover the material in a more targeted and comprehensive manner compared to other study materials.

4. Are all GRE books and aids created equal?

No, not all GRE books and aids are created equal. It is important to do research and read reviews to find the best ones that align with your learning style and needs.

5. Can using GRE books and aids guarantee a high score?

Using GRE books and aids can improve your understanding of the material and help you practice for the exam, but they cannot guarantee a high score. Your score ultimately depends on your own efforts and abilities.