Is "Conquering the Physics GRE" book worth my time/money?

In summary, the book "Conquering the Physics GRE" is a recommended resource for studying for the physics GRE. It is not too expensive at $46.00, but there are also other online resources available such as prior GRE tests and forums. The book can be used as a base for organizing studies and learning the structure of the GRE, but it may not accurately reflect the actual test questions. Some reviewers suggest using Schaum's Outlines for more varied problems and GRE test-taking strategies. It is important to note that the GRE test format has changed in recent years to section-by-section adaptive questioning.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Upon my path towards studying for the physics GRE, the only book that I've had recommended is "Conquering the Physics GRE" located here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1479274631/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The book is not too expensive, which is nice ($46.00).

However, I'm not entirely sure that it is worth the time/money.

Does anyone have suggestions on this? Either I will purchase this book and primarily use it to study for the Physics GRE, or I will simply use the vast amount of resources available online (prior GRE tests, etc.).

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the book as a base for organizing your studies and learning how the GRE is structured. Also consider using Schaum's Outlines for more varied problems. GRE's are limited in the kinds of problems they can present and so its also good to know some GRE test taking strategies.

Your book didn't get glowing reviews (2/3 gave it five stars and the other 1/3 didn't) and one reviewer said the Schaums 3000 questions worked out better for him:

The work of the authors is commendable. However, the questions asked and sample exams are nothing like the actual physics GRE. This could be used as a supplemental text. However, I would recommend ignoring it all together and using the plethora of online forums for the PGRE. Also, Schaum's 3000 solved problems is excellent for fine tuning your problem solving skills, and a lot of the problems can easily be converted to a PGRE type questions simply by solving the problems symbolically.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1479274631/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The new GRE tests are progressive meaning they hit you with harder and harder problems until you make a mistake and then backtrap one level and try again eventually zeroing on your score. The idea is to hit your with less questions to find your level of understanding. This should be described in any books you may get on the GRE.

EDIT: According to the wikipedia article the test changed to section by section adaptive questioning since 2011 so be aware any book you use should be printed after that time to more accurately describe the test and strategies to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Record_Examinations

and this one on the contents of the Physics GRE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRE_Physics_Test

Likes CalcNerd and RJLiberator

1. What is the purpose of the "Conquering the Physics GRE" book?

The purpose of the "Conquering the Physics GRE" book is to help students prepare for and ace the Physics GRE exam. It provides comprehensive review of the topics covered on the exam, as well as strategies and tips for approaching the test.

2. Is the content of the book up-to-date?

Yes, the content of the book is regularly updated to reflect any changes in the format or content of the Physics GRE exam. The latest edition also includes practice questions and tests that are similar to the current exam.

3. Can the book be used as the sole resource for studying for the Physics GRE?

While the book is a valuable resource for studying, it is not recommended to use it as the sole resource for preparing for the exam. It is best used in conjunction with other study materials, such as past exams and additional review books.

4. Are the practice questions and tests in the book representative of the actual exam?

Yes, the practice questions and tests in the book are designed to be similar to the actual Physics GRE exam. However, it is important to note that the actual exam may include some different or more challenging questions.

5. Is the "Conquering the Physics GRE" book worth the cost?

This ultimately depends on the individual's needs and study habits. However, many students have found the book to be a valuable resource in their preparation for the Physics GRE exam, and the cost is relatively affordable compared to other study materials.