Required books and knowledge to take physics GRE.

In summary, the conversation is about recommended math and physics books to prepare for the physics GRE. The person has just started with Apostol/Spivak for calculus and is wondering what to read next. They are considering real analysis or multivariable and are also planning to read "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday. They are asking for suggestions on a good book to prepare for the physics GRE and are directed to search for answers on PhysicsGRE.com.
isalloum4
Hi all,
What math and physics books I need to read before I am able to score well in physics GRE.
I just started with Apostol/Spivak for calculus. My question is what should I read next? Real analysis vs multivariable? or rather, Spivak should be enough to handle the required math for physics GRE?
On physics books; I am planning to read the fundamental of physics for Halliday but I don't know what should be next? is Modern physics for Tipler good enough to be ready for physics GRE?
Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question has been answered a lot of times if I'm correct, just perform a little search on the website.

Likes 1 person

1. What books are recommended for studying for the physics GRE?

Some commonly recommended books for studying for the physics GRE include "Conquering the Physics GRE" by Yoni Kahn and Adam Anderson, "Cracking the GRE Physics Subject Test" by The Princeton Review, and "Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics" by David Morin. However, it is important to also consult with your professors or peers to see if they have any additional recommendations.

2. Is there a specific order in which I should study the material for the physics GRE?

There is no specific order in which you should study the material for the physics GRE. However, it is recommended to start with the topics that you are most comfortable with and then progress to the ones that you find more challenging. This will help build your confidence and make it easier to tackle the more difficult material.

3. Are there any online resources that can help me prepare for the physics GRE?

Yes, there are several online resources that can help you prepare for the physics GRE. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, PhysicsGRE.com, and GREPhysics.net. These websites offer practice questions, study guides, and other helpful resources to aid in your preparation.

4. How much time should I allocate for studying for the physics GRE?

The amount of time you should allocate for studying for the physics GRE will vary based on your individual needs and schedule. However, it is generally recommended to start studying at least 3-4 months before the exam and to dedicate 8-10 hours per week for studying. It is also important to have a consistent study schedule and to take breaks to avoid burnout.

5. Can I use my regular physics textbooks to study for the physics GRE?

While your regular physics textbooks can be helpful in studying for the physics GRE, it is important to supplement your studies with specific GRE review books and practice tests. These resources are tailored to the format and content of the GRE and will better prepare you for the exam. Additionally, some topics may not be covered in depth in your regular textbooks, so it is important to use a variety of resources for a comprehensive review.