Are the strings in string theory vacuums?

In summary, the strings in String theory are vacuums, and they are expected to form as rolled up M2-branes in a complete version of M-theory.
Natsirt
I've heard that the strings in String theory are vacuums, is that right? And if so then how is it expected they form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natsirt said:
I've heard that the strings in String theory are vacuums, is that right? And if so then how is it expected they form?

You should give a reference. It sounds weird.

Last edited:
Natsirt said:

The strings in string theory are rolled up M2-branes (i.e. two dimensional branes). M2 and M5-branes are supersymmetric p-brane solutions of D=11 supergravity, the low energy approximation to M-theory. To fully explain the origin of these p-brane solutions requires a complete version of M-theory.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies.

2. How do the strings in string theory relate to vacuums?

In string theory, the strings exist in a vacuum, which is a state of space where there are no particles or matter. The strings interact with this vacuum in order to create the different particles and forces that we observe in the universe.

3. Are the strings in string theory actually physical objects?

No, the strings in string theory are not considered to be physical objects in the same way that particles are. They are more like mathematical concepts that represent the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

4. What evidence is there for the existence of strings in string theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of strings in string theory. However, the theory has been successful in making predictions about the behavior of particles and forces in the universe, and it is still being actively studied and researched by scientists.

5. Can string theory be proven or disproven?

Since string theory is a theoretical framework and not a proven scientific theory, it cannot be definitively proven or disproven. However, as more research and experimentation is done, it may become possible to find evidence that supports or refutes the ideas of string theory.