Are there any good math books with logarithm basics?

In summary: You're kidding, right?There's an old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words."A graph conveys a lot of important information that can be grasped almost instantly, such as its intercepts, where it is increasing or decreasing, its concavity, and...All of these are important when trying to understand the behavior of a function.Graphing allows you to see these things more easily.All of these are important when trying to understand the behavior of a function.Graphing allows you to see these things more easily.
awholenumber
I have a couple of college algebra textbooks , but none has some proper intro to logarithm basics .
I like to keep a book for logarithm alone , i see some online PDF's on logarithm , but all are sort of messed up .

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you define the natural logarithm as the inverse of the exponential function, which itself is completely defined on entire ##\mathbb{C}## by its power series. Why one should need an extra textbook for this pretty unproblematic subject is not clear to me. You find it in any Analysis I book (for real numbers at least).

You need to know Calculus if you want to understand why the exponential functions, and it's inverse behaves.

You have to take definitions as is, for now.

The main idea for the log. Is you need to show what it means for a function to have an inverse.

Then you need to know about limits... etc

The MVT is used for the proof of this.

Pretty

i recommend eulers algebra book, available free online

Thanks a lot for all the replies :-)

MidgetDwarf said:
You need to know Calculus if you want to understand why the exponential functions, and it's inverse behaves.
I disagree. Most algebra books at the precalculus level present exponential functions and their graphs, and there isn't anything very deep about the graphs of, say, y = 2x or y = 10x. Each of these exponential functions has a log function defined as its inverse, as e.g.,
##y = 10 ^x \Leftrightarrow x = log_{10}(y)##

MidgetDwarf said:
The main idea for the log. Is you need to show what it means for a function to have an inverse.

Then you need to know about limits... etc
The concept of the inverse of a function doesn't require calculus or limits.

awholenumber said:
I have a couple of college algebra textbooks , but none has some proper intro to logarithm basics .
Any decent college algebra textbook should have a "proper" introduction to the basics of logarithms. It doesn't require a whole book to cover this relatively small topic.

Mark44 said:
Any decent college algebra textbook should have a "proper" introduction to the basics of logarithms. It doesn't require a whole book to cover this relatively small topic.
That's about right. You learn the "basics" of logarithms when you study Intermediate Algebra, and you go through the same in your College Algebra course (including their textbooks). You review exponential functions in Intermediate Algebra, learn about inverse functions, and then are instructed how the logairthm is the inverse of exponential function.

Mark44 said:
I disagree. Most algebra books at the precalculus level present exponential functions and their graphs, and there isn't anything very deep about the graphs of, say, y = 2x or y = 10x. Each of these exponential functions has a log function defined as its inverse, as e.g.,
##y = 10 ^x \Leftrightarrow x = log_{10}(y)##

The proof of inverse of exponentials does...

awholenumber said:
I like to keep a book for logarithm alone , i see some online PDF's on logarithm , but all are sort of messed up .

Please help

I think you need higher algebra by Hall and Knight.

Mark44 said:

MidgetDwarf said:
The proof of inverse of exponentials does...
Not if you define logarithms as the inverses of exponential functions. Since the OP asked specifically about logarithm basics, it really isn't necessary to define ##\ln(x)## in terms of an integral.
Buffu said:
I think you need higher algebra by Hall and Knight.
If you don't mind a book that was written in 1887. It's certainly comprehensive in what it covers, and would serve as an excellent reference of what used to be taught in algebra classes over a century ago. The book would not be useful for a student who plans to take calculus, as it doesn't consider functions and their graphs -- in fact, there's not a single image in the entire book.

Mark44 said:
If you don't mind a book that was written in 1887. It's certainly comprehensive in what it covers, and would serve as an excellent reference of what used to be taught in algebra classes over a century ago. The book would not be useful for a student who plans to take calculus, as it doesn't consider functions and their graphs -- in fact, there's not a single image in the entire book.

Why you need graphs ?

Buffu said:
Why you need graphs ?
You're kidding, right? There's an old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

A graph conveys a lot of important information that can be grasped almost instantly, such as its intercepts, where it is increasing or decreasing, its concavity, and more.

Likes scottdave
Likes scottdave

1. What is a logarithm and why is it important in math?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of exponential functions. It is used to solve equations involving exponents and is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, algebra, and statistics.

2. Are there any good books that can help me understand logarithm basics?

Yes, there are many good math books that cover logarithm basics. Some popular options include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Ron Larson.

3. Can you recommend a book specifically for beginners or those who struggle with math?

Yes, "Logarithm Basics for Dummies" by Mark Zegarelli is a great option for beginners or those who struggle with math. It breaks down the concepts in a clear and concise manner and includes many practice problems to reinforce understanding.

4. Are there any online resources or videos that can help me learn about logarithms?

Yes, there are many online resources and videos that can help you learn about logarithms. Khan Academy, Math Antics, and PatrickJMT are all popular YouTube channels that have videos specifically on logarithm basics.

5. How can I apply my understanding of logarithms in real life situations?

Logarithms have many real life applications, such as in finance, physics, and biology. They can be used to calculate compound interest, measure the magnitude of earthquakes, and model population growth, among other things.