• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Are there any grad programs left that have no application fee?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
Simfish
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I know that Penn State and Georgia State were both free-to-apply several years ago, but they both seem to have put in application fees since then.

What about other programs? In addition to Physics/Astronomy, I'm especially interested in interdisciplinary programs that take students from all analytical majors (especially cognitive science and computational biology).

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

FYI, Penn state will only charge you $65 if you are accept and matriculated, so it's basically free. Here's my list,
Rochester is free, Carnegie Mellon is free, Ohio State is only $5. Keep in mind that most schools still require you to send in transcripts and GRE scores, so it's not entirely free.

Simfish
Gold Member
On Penn State, really?

It says this:

The graduate degree application fee is $65, non-refundable. This fee is in effect for all degree applications submitted beginning October 1, 2008, regardless of the intended date of enrollment.
http://www.gradsch.psu.edu/prospective/apply.html

===
EDIT: Oh, for *PHYSICS*, there is no application fee (there is one for astro, which is the one i looked at first). But if I apply to physics, is my application going to be forwarded to the astrophysics department? (I'm an astrophysics major and I've heard that applications from the physics dept get forwarded to the astro dept if they feel that the student is a better fit there). Am I *not* allowed to apply to both physics and astrophysics?

Last edited:
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I'm afraid that this may have gone the way of the dodo. Many schools that used to be free now have an application fee. 10,000 applications at $50 a pop is serious money.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
One university that I passed up applying to had an application fee only if you were accepted. That's practically free! However, it's not like you're applying for a job at fast food or something, it's a phd program where you'll spend the next 5-8 years of your life with tuition rates $15-$40k per year.... even though for most it is waived... not really a cheap game to be playing.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Oh, for *PHYSICS*, there is no application fee
You have to read between the lines there. What they are saying is that if you send the application to the department first, and you don't get in, don't bother applying to the graduate school. They'll just take your money.

Not a bad deal.

Am I *not* allowed to apply to both physics and astrophysics?
[PLAIN said:
http://www.gradsch.psu.edu/prospective/apply.html][/PLAIN] [Broken]
Applicants may apply to only one graduate program and campus at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that University of Oklahoma physics/astronomy department is free. You have to physically mail to application to the physics department, and the department will pick up the check. You can submit an online application, but that'll cost you.

But applications can bring in a couple dollars, so almost every school you will apply to will have fees. Some schools can get quite expensive (more than $100).

Simfish
Gold Member
Oh okay I see. Thanks for all the additional information, everyone!