1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any infinitesimals in R?

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that infinitesimals are not a subset of R.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I had two ideas about how to prove this but I'm really not sure about either. Proof 1 was the first idea I had but I think it's probably wrong since it has to do with the limit of a sequence. Proof 2 was my other idea but I think it seems fishy so it's probably wrong. Anyway, here goes nothing . . .

Proof 1: Suppose that (∃ε)(εR) defined by 0 < ε < 1/nnN. Clearly ε satisfies the definition of an infinitesimal.

Since ε < 1/n this defines a sequence {xn} = 1/n. We can prove that this sequence converges to zero as n becomes arbitrarily large by using the definition of convergence. Therefore,

(∀ϵ)(ϵ > 0)(∃N)(NN)(∀n)(if n > N then 0 < |{xn} - 0| < ϵ).

Clearly, if (ϵ > 0), then the must be some (NN) such that, 1/N < ϵ. The fact that n > N implies that 0 < {xn} = 1/n < 1/N < ϵ. Since this condition is true, we have that, if n > N then 0 < |{xn} - 0| < ϵ.

To complete the proof, we need only note that since 0 < ε < {xn}, if n > N then 0 < |ε| <|{xn}| < ϵ. This implies that ε = 0 and consequently, infinitesimals are not a subset of R. Q.E.D.

Proof 2: Suppose that (∃ε)(εR) defined by 0 < ε < 1/nnN. Clearly ε satisfies the definition of an infinitesimal. Since ε ≠ 0, ε-1R. Because 0 < ε < 1/nnN, this implies that ε-1 > nnN. However, this contradicts the Archimedean property of R and consequently infinitesimal numbers cannot be a subset of R. Q.E.D.

I hope this is the right forum for this. Please pardon any poor wording, I'm not used to formatting things for the computer. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Infinitesimals

I think that can be done more simply as a "proof by contradiction". If an infinitesmal, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] were a member of R, it would have to be 0, positive or negative. It cannot be 0 by definition. If [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] then [itex]1/\epsilon[/itex] would be a positive real number. By the Archimedean property (which essentially is what says infinitesmals cannot be real numbers) there exist a positive integer N such that [itex]N> 1/\epsilon[/itex] from which [itex]1/N< \epsilon[/itex], a contradiction. I'll leave the last case, that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a negative real number, to you.

4. Jul 11, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought proof 1 was fine (other than neglecting the possibility of negative infinitessimals). It's the same argument -- the Archmedean principle is essentially the statement that "1/n --> 0 as n --> infinity", and his invokation of the squeeze theorem works out to essentially the same thing as your argument by contradiction.

Oh wait, nevermind -- I just noticed he didn't actually invoke the squeeze theorem, he just duplicated its proof in his argument.

Isn't his proof 2 the same thing as your argument, HoI?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  5. Jul 11, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pretty much, yeah. But mine was prettier!

(There were a number of special symbols my reader could not interpret so I was not clear what he was saying.)

6. Jul 11, 2009 #5

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm really glad that each approach I used will work with some modifications.

Hurkyl: Thanks for pointing out that I needed to consider negative infinitesimals. I always seem to forget some important part of a proof.

HallofIvy: Your proof by contradiction was certainly prettier than mine! Thanks for the input!

7. Jul 11, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

avec_holl: have you worked out how to redo proof #1 in terms of the squeeze theorem? I think it's a good idea -- you were clearly thinking along those lines, and it would be a good exercise to figure out how to work efficiently with those thoughts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook