Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Are there any linear quantum gravity theories?

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    Are there any linear quantum gravity theories out there with respect to the wave function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can quantize the (Pauli-Fierz) free spin-2 field (which is the 1st order perturbation of the space-time metric) canonically or better yet with path integrals as normal linear QFT (just like electromagnetism in Minkowski spacetime). There's a (probably the best) chapter of Zee's book on QFT on this. The Pauli-Fierz action is deducted by Feynman in his GR book from symmetry considerations.

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

All mainstream quantum gravity theories (string theory, Wheeler-DeWitt, loop quantum gravity, perturbative quantization of spin-2 field in a classical background, etc.) are linear with respect to the wave function. Linearity (or superposition principle) is one of the basics axioms of quantum theory.

5. Jan 5, 2017 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Maybe you're confusing fields with wave functions ?

6. Jan 5, 2017 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Who are you referring to? The OP stated that he is talking about linearity with respect to wave functions. I assumed that by "wave functions" he means quantum states and not the gravitational fields. Dextercioby assumed the opposite.

7. Jan 6, 2017 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

I meant the OP. If so, the question seems to make more sense to me.

8. Jan 18, 2017 #7
    What about asymptotic safety in quantum gravity?

9. Jan 19, 2017 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It's also linear.

10. Jan 19, 2017 #9
    How do you know? Not all quantum gravity theories are linear. Casual fermion systems is non linear and so is casual dynamical triangulation.

11. Jan 19, 2017 #10

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Can you support it by a reference?

12. Jan 19, 2017 #11
    I just emailed researchers in the field and they told me.

13. Jan 19, 2017 #12

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Can you copy/paste the exact question you asked and their exact answer?

14. Jan 19, 2017 #13
    Me -
    Hello, I know this is random but I just have a simple question concerning Casual Fermion System (CFS) as a theory of quantum gravity...
    Is CFS a local or non local theory of Quantum Field Theory? If it is local, then it cannot be correct. Also, is CFS linear with respect to the wave function?
    Felix Finster -
    Dear Nick,

Thanks for your question! I am sorry for not writing back earlier.

The causal action principle (which gives rise to the physical equations in a causal fermion system) is non-linear and non-local. But of course, the resulting Euler-Lagrange equations are linear in certain limiting cases, in particular giving rise to a linear dynamics on Fock spaces.

For more information you could have a look at the survey paper
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1502.03587
    or the first chapter of the book
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.04742
    The connection to quantum geometry (which should also be the framework for describing quantum gravity) is worked out in
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1107.2026

Just let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards, Felix

15. Jan 19, 2017 #14
    I don't have the reply from the CDT researcher I deleted it

16. Jan 19, 2017 #15

Demystifier

Science Advisor

You are right, this is really a non-linear theory with respect to the quantum state (which you call wave function). The theory has something to do with the so-called wave-function collapse. However, this is a very exotic theory, very very far away from the mainstream.

Asymptotic safety, however, is quite mainstream. As I said, all mainstream theories of quantum gravity are linear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted