Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Are there any linear quantum gravity theories?

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    Are there any linear quantum gravity theories out there with respect to the wave function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can quantize the (Pauli-Fierz) free spin-2 field (which is the 1st order perturbation of the space-time metric) canonically or better yet with path integrals as normal linear QFT (just like electromagnetism in Minkowski spacetime). There's a (probably the best) chapter of Zee's book on QFT on this. The Pauli-Fierz action is deducted by Feynman in his GR book from symmetry considerations.

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

All mainstream quantum gravity theories (string theory, Wheeler-DeWitt, loop quantum gravity, perturbative quantization of spin-2 field in a classical background, etc.) are linear with respect to the wave function. Linearity (or superposition principle) is one of the basics axioms of quantum theory.

5. Jan 5, 2017 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Maybe you're confusing fields with wave functions ?

6. Jan 5, 2017 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Who are you referring to? The OP stated that he is talking about linearity with respect to wave functions. I assumed that by "wave functions" he means quantum states and not the gravitational fields. Dextercioby assumed the opposite.

7. Jan 6, 2017 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

I meant the OP. If so, the question seems to make more sense to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted