Are there any neuroscience journals that I could get for free?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mariexotoni
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Journals Neuroscience
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
mariexotoni
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Like any free articles online?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Here is a database of open-access journals, I've done the search for neuroscience for you
http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=findJournals&uiLanguage=en&hybrid=&query=neuroscience

Be wary though, this database doesn't list the impact factors (i.e. credibility) of these journals. You should check them against something like the Thompson Reuters database first.
http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Many articles become free after a while due to US law. So if you search eg. "deep brain stimulation parkinson's" it will come up with 2675 articles. On the right column under "Filter your results", there's the option to restrict the search results to the 450 articles which are free.
 
Ryan_m_b said:
Be wary though, this database doesn't list the impact factors (i.e. credibility) of these journals. You should check them against something like the Thompson Reuters database first.
http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/

Impact factors are not credibility ratings.
 
atyy said:
Impact factors are not credibility ratings.
Yes, that is why I indicated that they are different things. However impact factors are an important thing to consider when looking at the credibility of a journal.
 
Ryan_m_b said:
Yes, that is why I indicated that they are different things. However impact factors are an important thing to consider when looking at the credibility of a journal.

I don't think so.
 
I don't think so, either. Impact factor is obscured by novelty and significance, which has nothing to do with credibility.

Just because research won't save lives or make a pharmaceutical company rich doesn't mean it lacks credibility.

Conversely, a parmaceutical company can very easily get into a high-impact journal with some very selective reporting as long as a disclosure is included in a little paragraph at the end.
 
I'm not saying it is a perfect system, there are many effects that manipulate the numbers but considering the OP is starting from a laymans perspective I think it is an ok thing to look at to get a rough (but not absolute) idea.
 
Ryan_m_b said:
I'm not saying it is a perfect system, there are many effects that manipulate the numbers but considering the OP is starting from a laymans perspective I think it is an ok thing to look at to get a rough (but not absolute) idea.

Yeah, I think that's ok just to start with those reservations in mind.