Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there collective modes on Spin Foams or LQG?

1. May 4, 2010 #1

MTd2

Gold Member

Like phonons?
    Even if SF is a random lattice, there might be modes emerging from some space of phase space.

Look at this example from BEC quantum Chaos:

http://www.theo-phys.uni-essen.de/tp/forsch/bec.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

What exactly do you mean by "collective"?

I would say that coherent states are - from the perspective of elementary excitations - something like collective modes.

I am not sure if the concept of collective excitations carries over to SF, because the foam does not "vibrate", it exists. And the existence of a huge macroscopic SF is already in some sense a collective excitation on the vacuum, just as a macrosocopic coherent state of photons.

So I would say that a semiclassical spacetime is a collective mode. Therefore your question is closely related to the question if semiclassical spacetime exists in SF models.

4. May 4, 2010 #3

MTd2

Gold Member

I was thinking about the spins on nodes. Maybe quai- particles could emerge from strongly spin systems, like spin waves.

5. May 5, 2010 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Yes,

one can split the analysis according to
    - kinematics: SU(2)-allowed "spin flips"
    - dynamics: propagation ...

6. May 5, 2010 #5

MTd2

Gold Member

Hmm, really? Any paper on that?

7. May 5, 2010 #6

MTd2

Gold Member

BTW, given that the lattice is random, should we expect quantum chaos?

8. May 5, 2010 #7
    Do semiclassical spacetime exist in SF models?

9. May 5, 2010 #8

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I have to check. There are papers regarding coherent states; I think these are rather close to semiclassical spacetime. In addition there are papers regarding the long-wavelength limit for the graviton propagator, again related to semiclassical spacetime.

10. May 5, 2010 #9
    Can conventional SM QFT be easily coupled to SF models?

11. May 5, 2010 #10

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

For "old fashioned" LQG there are derivations at least for scalars and vector particles. For fermions I have seen classical approaches studying the Holst or Nieh-Yan action, but never a full LQG / SF model. Nevertheless people are talking about LQG methods applied to SUGRA.

Honestly: nobody expects serious obstacles - not even for fermions - but there is no detailed derivation for SM+SF yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook