Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you an egg peeling super-human?

Tags:
  1. Flawless. Pristine deviled eggs are my specialty.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Questionable. I can disassemble an egg.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Non-existent. Poached eggs are better anyway.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I peel my eggs like I peel my bananas, from the other end.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. What is an egg?

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Aug 1, 2016 #1
    I've had this question for some time now, and I'd really like to find an answer.

What is the best way to peel a hard-boiled egg?

I don't consider myself -bad- at peeling eggs. It just seems to be a matter of luck. Sometimes the shell comes off cleanly and easily, and sometimes the eggshell membrane has welded itself to the egg white, rendering the task impossible.

If you have the knowledge I seek, please deliver me from this egg peeling purgatory.

How do you select an egg for its peelability?
    What treatment, if any, do you subject the egg-boiling-water to?
    Do you add the eggs while the water is cold, or after it is boiling?
    How long do you boil the eggs?
    How do you temper the eggs before peeling?
    How long after boiling do you peel the eggs?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My wife cooks them in a steamer and then after they are cold, I crush/roll them on their side across a cutting board and the shells pretty much pop off in two pieces. Sometimes it's not so simple and I have to pick off numerous pieces. Don't know why that is.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  4. Aug 1, 2016 #3
    I slightly crack the whole egg on a hard surface (hit it multiple times to crack whole area evenly), then gently roll it between my palms in order to tear the membrane. After that, the shell comes down easily.

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel easily......

6. Aug 2, 2016 #5

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Of course I have mad cooking skills, I've been cooking daily for many years and I'm from the Deep South (most women cook well here)...

First, I allow mine to cool off before peeling. Then, I submerge them in a bowl full of warm water and do the peeling underwater- the water lubricates the inner shell as you peel and the membrane peels off very smoothly (the shell follows along). I only crack the most pointed area once to place my finger under the membrane (there resides a small air pocket at the top), it is difficult to remove the entire membrane flawlessly when cracking that one egg multiple times- the broken shell punctures the lining of different layers and makes peeling incredibly difficult and uneven.

7. Aug 2, 2016 #6
    I've tried something similar but tend to end up with a tear in the egg as well. How do you avoid that?

Thank you for going into such detail. How long do you boil the eggs? Do you cool them in the water, with a cool water bath, under running water, or in air?

8. Aug 2, 2016 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have the perfect, seemingly flawless way to peel perfect hardboiled eggs (Martha Stewart),

Don't use fresh eggs, wait about a week after you buy them.

After the eggs have been shocked in the ice water and are cold, tap the egg slightly on the counter, you can tap it in multiple places, the side with the air pocket usually caves in and allows you a starting point to get your finger in and start pulling the shell away without any egg attached.

I just did a dozen night before last, every one perfect.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. Aug 2, 2016 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... what are we seeking ? :smile:

I know. I was just a slip of the figner.

10. Aug 2, 2016 #9
    Oh no, this is really inhuman! Such Egg abuse hurts the egg badly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted