Are you an optimist or a pessimist/cynic?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary: That is precisely my point, and thus why I started this poll to begin with -- to get a sense of whether PF members who choose to...In summary, pessimism is based on the belief that the world is a bad place, whereas optimism is based on the belief that the world is a good place.

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

• An optimist

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • A pessimist/cynic

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I wanted to ask you whether, overall in your disposition, you are an optimist or a pessimist/cynic. Part of the reason I'm asking is that I have the distinct impression that many here on PF tend towards pessimism or cynicism, but perhaps I may be mistaken.

Please note: this post closes after 30 days.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not both?

Likes Bandersnatch
Borek said:
Why not both?

You cannot be both a (general) optimist and a pessimist/cynic -- that is a logical contradiction. (you can be optimistic or pessimistic/cynical about specific subjects -- I'm talking about overall life view or disposition).

Thank you, Cpt. Obvious :wink:

Optimist for sure. I see the good in almost everything. I like cynicism for example.

Last edited:
Likes Monsterboy and dkotschessaa
Of course being cynical is independent of the other two properties. And I'm pretty sure most people are not always optimistic or always pessimistic. E.g. I appreciate cynicism and sarcasm. The rest is much more complicate to answer than by a yes or no.

Likes Monsterboy
An optimist gets only unpleasant surprises; a pessimist only pleasant ones.

Likes DennisN, Tom.G, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
An optimist gets only unpleasant surprises; a pessimist only pleasant ones.

Not necessarily -- pessimists by their nature will downplay or undervalue (sometimes to extreme levels) whatever pleasant or positive experiences they may experience or witness. Pessimists will also more likely be left in a state of despair which may make them unable to see the positive characteristics in the world.

StatGuy2000 said:
Not necessarily -- pessimists by their nature will downplay or undervalue (sometimes to extreme levels) whatever pleasant or positive experiences they may experience or witness. Pessimists will also more likely be left in a state of despair which may make them unable to see the positive characteristics in the world.
I would disagree, I would say that I am very pessimistic, always expecting the worst, so I am always elated when things do not go badly as expected.

Evo said:
I would say that I am very pessimistic ...
There must be a reason why most of us like Marvin:
"Here I am with a brain the size of a planet and they ask me to pick up a piece of paper."

StatGuy2000 said:
A link to supporting research perhaps?

Likes Monsterboy and Evo
Tom.G said:
A link to supporting research perhaps?

I am not a researcher in social psychology, and therefore have not conducted research in these areas. My observation in this thread is based purely on anecdotal observations that I have made (and therefore amounts to speculation), so shouldn't be taken as definitive by any means. So take my statements for what it is worth.

I found it difficult to choose, so I chose "other". I think I am fundamentally an optimist (at least when it comes to mood), but I can also get pessimistic. (Edit: I changed my vote to optimist, I think that is more accurate.)

And, almost always, things could be worse. :smile:

I would say I'm a cynical optimist (other).
Optimistic about many things, but cynical about others (including some people's understandings of things).

Optimism is merely a lack of information.

Likes Monsterboy, DennisN, Borek and 2 others
The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the optimist believes we live in the best possible world; and the pessimist fears this is true.

I put other. I consider myself and optimist, but I'm also skeptical/empirical. I am optimistic in the long term, ('things will work out/we will figure it out/we'll get through it") but on a case by case basis I am skeptical about outcomes until I have evidence to support my viewpoint. i.e. I don't jump up and down if I hear good news, I kind of wait for more verification or want to know what that 'catch' is going to be.

Interestingly, now that I think about it, I think my wife is the opposite.. More pessimistic overall, but gets very excited about little opportunities. I wonder if that's why we make a perfect match?

-Dave K

Likes BillTre
fresh_42 said:

If so, does pessimism imply being better informed?

fresh_42 said:

StatGuy2000 said:
If so, does pessimism imply being better informed?
I don't buy either of these. Given an identical collection of information, one person could be optimistic and another could be pessimistic. It's a matter of the mindset of the individual, rather than the presence or absence of information.

Mark44 said:
I don't buy either of these. Given an identical collection of information, one person could be optimistic and another could be pessimistic. It's a matter of the mindset of the individual, rather than the presence or absence of information.

That is precisely my point, and thus why I started this poll to begin with -- to get a sense of whether PF members who choose to participate tend to have an optimistic or pessimistic mindset.

Mark44 said:

I agree with this in principle, but I think the optimist and pessimist do have different experiences that may color their interpretation of the received information. In that sense they do not have exactly the same information.

Likes StatGuy2000
Mark44 said:
I don't buy either of these.
You mean, I should have taken this question more seriously?

fresh_42 said:
You mean, I should have taken this question more serious?

Nah, because your answer, even if it was meant jokingly, is a view that people do hold!

dkotschessaa said:
I agree with this in principle, but I think the optimist and pessimist do have different experiences that may color their interpretation of the received information. In that sense they do not have exactly the same information.
Which is not what I said; namely, that both are given the same information (or undergo the same experience).

fresh_42 said:
You mean, I should have taken this question more seriously?
I misunderstood... I thought you were being serious. Regarding the question itself, we are in agreement.

Mark44 said:
Which is not what I said; namely, that both are given the same information (or undergo the same experience).

Just to clarify:

"given an identical collection of information" i.e. two people receive the same set of data, i.e. a letter in the mail saying "You won a vacation"
"experience" in my case, meaning the background of the individual - Person A has won many vacations, Person B has always found these things to be scams.

Person A will view the situation with optimism, person B will not. The received information is the same, the experience is not. They are not *really* operating on the same information overall.

Mark44 said:
I misunderstood... I thought you were being serious. Regarding the question itself, we are in agreement.
Well, occasionally I do think this phrase is true from time to time. It's more that I don't like - not to use more harsh verbs - statements which combines all quantors with humans. In my experience all sentences "All <insert a group of your choice> are <insert an adjective of your choice>" are doomed to be wrong, as long as they're not tautological. I am pessimistic about the weather tomorrow, but optimistic, that it won't freeze. And like this, it is with many things, it heavily depends on the specific question.

dkotschessaa said:
Person A will view the situation with optimism, person B will not. The received information is the same, the experience is not. They are not *really* operating on the same information overall.
The scenario you gave might be more related to cynicism vs. gullibility rather than optimism vs. pessimism.

Here's what I would consider a better example:
Persons O and P each buy a lottery ticket, and both tickets win $10,000.
Person O thinks, "Man, I can pay off some debts and maybe even have enough to take that vacation I couldn't afford before."
Person P thinks, "Bummer, now I'll be in a higher tax bracket, plus my deadbeat brother-in-law will be hitting me up for a loan."

Same information, same experience -- different states of mind.

Likes russ_watters
fresh_42 said:
Well, occasionally I do think this phrase is true from time to time. It's more that I don't like - not to use more harsh verbs - statements which combines all quantors with humans. In my experience all sentences "All <insert a group of your choice> are <insert an adjective of your choice>" are doomed to be wrong, as long as they're not tautological. I am pessimistic about the weather tomorrow, but optimistic, that it won't freeze. And like this, it is with many things, it heavily depends on the specific question.
I agree, which is why I think the poll is silly, to put it bluntly.

Likes Bystander
I try to be optimistic about stuff but it gets harder as you get older

The poll is a bit too either or

Likes Craftek_Ana, davenn and Bystander
Mark44 said:
I agree, which is why I think the poll is silly, to put it bluntly.

Well, this poll was primarily for entertainment purposes, instead of being a well designed survey question as befit a statistician (although I don't have too much experience designing survey questionnaires). At least that's my excuse! :-p

Likes PeroK, pinball1970 and Bystander
pinball1970 said:
The poll is a bit too either or

agreed ... pessimism and cynical should be separate

I used to be very optimistic but with age and life experience, the cynicism streak in me has grown

cyn|ic¦al
[ˈsɪnɪk(ə)l]

ADJECTIVE
  1. believing that The Majority of people are motivated purely by self-interest;
  2. distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
Bolded = my addition, as I know not everyone is that way

but I wouldn't say that I am overly pessimistic

Likes pinball1970
I am a super pessimist...almost about everything, including myself. That's why I work hard.

Likes PeroK
davenn said:
agreed ... pessimism and cynical should be separate

I used to be very optimistic but with age and life experience, the cynicism streak in me has grown

but I wouldn't say that I am overly pessimistic
I know exactly what you mean, we old more miserable as get older, we smile less get more illnesses/depression and our expectations of our fellow men decline because we see history repeat itself again and again. Basically we are beaten into the ground. I used a T-shirt that said "a pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist" I thought it was quite clever Now I am just old to wear a T shirt like that that.

Likes davenn
pinball1970 said:
I used a T-shirt that said "a pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist" I thought it was quite clever

"used to have" that is, I forgot to mention general senility.