Are you an optimist or a pessimist/cynic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date Start date

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

  • An optimist

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • A pessimist/cynic

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 6 30.0%

  • Total voters
    20
  • Poll closed .
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 5K views
Mark44 said:
I agree, which is why I think the poll is silly, to put it bluntly.

Well, this poll was primarily for entertainment purposes, instead of being a well designed survey question as befit a statistician (although I don't have too much experience designing survey questionnaires). At least that's my excuse! :-p
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK, pinball1970 and Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
The poll is a bit too either or

agreed ... pessimism and cynical should be separate

I used to be very optimistic but with age and life experience, the cynicism streak in me has grown

cyn|ic¦al
[ˈsɪnɪk(ə)l]

ADJECTIVE
  1. believing that The Majority of people are motivated purely by self-interest;
  2. distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
Bolded = my addition, as I know not everyone is that way

but I wouldn't say that I am overly pessimistic
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
I am a super pessimist...almost about everything, including myself. That's why I work hard.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
davenn said:
agreed ... pessimism and cynical should be separate

I used to be very optimistic but with age and life experience, the cynicism streak in me has grown

but I wouldn't say that I am overly pessimistic
I know exactly what you mean, we old more miserable as get older, we smile less get more illnesses/depression and our expectations of our fellow men decline because we see history repeat itself again and again. Basically we are beaten into the ground. I used a T-shirt that said "a pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist" I thought it was quite clever Now I am just old to wear a T shirt like that that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
pinball1970 said:
I used a T-shirt that said "a pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist" I thought it was quite clever

"used to have" that is, I forgot to mention general senility.
 
pinball1970 said:
I know exactly what you mean, we old more miserable as get older, we smile less get more illnesses/depression and our expectations of our fellow men decline because we see history repeat itself again and again.Basically we are beaten into the ground. I used a T-shirt that said "a pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist" I thought it was quite cleverNow I am just old to wear a T shirt like that that.

Curiously enough, some of the most optimistic people I've met are senior citizens (i.e. over the age of 65). Some of the most pessimistic people I've met are those in their 20s.
 
pinball1970 said:
I try to be optimistic about stuff but it gets harder as you get older

The poll is a bit too either or

+1
How about adding Realist as an option to the poll?
Where you weight your odds realisticly.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Aufbauwerk 2045 and BillTre
I'm mostly optimistic, although, not overly optimistic. For instance, I don't believe in free meals, figuratively speaking, but they are welcome.

As for cynicism - I.. it depends. Depends on the sort of people one is surrounded by.I am fully aware of the selfish pricks that are out there, but in conjunction with my (un)healthy dose of optimism, I TRY (underline, circle, bold, font 28) to see the better in people. I want to believe most of us are benign creatures, but..it's hard sometimes. I also have to remind myself that teenagers aren't people, but teenagers. They'll come around..eventually.
 
A balance of both.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G
I consider myself a realist. If I see something to be optimistic about, I'm optimistic. If I don't I can be the opposite. Although, I do generally lean more towards optimism.