Find Width of Rectangle with 600yd2 and 140yd Fencing

D.In summary, the width of the rectangular enclosure must lie within the range of 0 to 10 yards in order for the area to be at least 600 square yards while using 140 yards of fencing, and the width cannot exceed the length.
alllove
A rectangular enclosure must have an area of at least 600 yd2. If 140 yd of fencing is to be used, and the width cannot exceed the length, within what limits must the width of the enclosure lie?
Select one:
A. 35 ≤ w ≤ 60
B. 10 ≤ w ≤ 35
C. 10 ≤ w ≤ 60
D. 0 ≤ w ≤ 10

Mathematics news on Phys.org
length, $L$ and width $(70-L)$

constraints ...

$70-L \le L$

$L(70-L) \ge 600$

see what you can do from here

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the problem specifically asks about "w", the width, I would, instead, say that $(70- w)w\ge 600$.

Of course that's exactly the same as the inequality skeeter gave for L. There will be two solutions. It is the condition that "the width cannot exceed the length" that allows you to distinguish between them.

Width being less than square root of 600 I see that it is less than 25 so I have only one candidate d to check and width 10 so length 60 meets the criteria and hence the answer

1. How do I find the width of a rectangle with 600 square yards and 140 yards of fencing?

To find the width of a rectangle, you can use the formula: width = (area/fencing) * 2. In this case, the width would be (600/140) * 2 = 8.57 yards.

2. Can I use any other method to find the width?

Yes, you can also use the formula: width = (area/fencing) / 2. In this case, the width would be (600/140) / 2 = 2.14 yards.

3. How do I convert yards to feet?

To convert yards to feet, you can use the conversion factor: 1 yard = 3 feet. So, 1 yard is equal to 3 feet.

4. What if I have a different unit of measurement for the area and fencing?

In order to find the width, you will need to convert both the area and fencing to the same unit of measurement. Once they are in the same unit, you can use the formula mentioned in the first question.

5. Can I use this formula for any rectangle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any rectangle as long as you have the area and the measurement of one side (in this case, the fencing).