1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of triangle inside parallelogram

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://folk.uio.no/robinbj/gg/ggstart.pdf" [Broken]
    I am supposed to find the area of the triangle PQD. The numbers given are the areas of the other triangles.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]A= \frac{1}{2} a b \sin{C}[/tex]

As well as Heron's formula, possibly?
    [tex]A= \sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}[/tex] where [tex]s = \frac{a+b+c}{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Where I'm stumped is exactly how to start. At first, I figured I'd try to find the values of a, b and c. Using the area of a triangle:

[tex]a = DP = \frac{14}{AP\sin{\theta}}[/tex]

Similarly, for b:

[tex]b = QP = \frac{56}{QB\sin{\alpha}}[/tex]

And c:

[tex] c = QD = \frac{28}{QC\sin{x}} [/tex]

Meaning that [tex]s = \frac{7}{AP\sin{\theta}} + \frac{28}{QB\sin{\alpha}} + \frac{14}{QC\sin{x}} [/tex]

However, dealing with three different angles, without knowing the relationship between them or the sum of the angles, I just don't know how to proceed and solve the exercise based on this. I am not looking for a solution from you guys, mind you. Just a tip to get me on the right track?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cjwalle! :smile:

I don't think the angles matter …

won't the ratios be the same, whatever the angles are, so you might as well make it a square?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook