Solving an oblique triangle. Looking for a correctness check

• Thread starter opus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discussed solving a triangle with given information of angles and sides using the Law of Sines. The solution involved finding the missing angle, using the Law of Sines to find the remaining sides, and checking the solution using the Law of Cosines.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve the triangle with the given information:
A= 40°, B= 20°, a= 100m

Homework Equations

The Law of Sines
##\frac{sin\left(A\right)}{a}##=##\frac{sin\left(B\right)}{b}##=##\frac{sin\left(C\right)}{c}##

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a AAS triangle. And since I'm given two angles, I can find the third by subtracting the two given angles from 180°.
$$∠C=180°-40°-20°=120°$$

I now use the Law of Sines to find the unknowns. I start by finding length b.
$$\frac{a}{sin\left(A\right)}=\frac{b}{sin\left(B\right)}$$
$$\frac{100}{sin\left(40°\right)}=\frac{b}{sin\left(20°\right)}$$
$$b≈53.209$$

Next I'll solve for length c, again using the Law of Sines.
$$\frac{c}{sin\left(C\right)}=\frac{b}{sin\left(B\right)}$$
$$\frac{c}{sin\left(120°\right)}=\frac{53.209}{sin\left(20°\right)}$$
$$c≈134.730$$

Solution:
∠A= 40°
∠B= 20°
∠C= 120°
a= 100 m
b≈ 53.209 m
c≈ 134.730 m

I think I did this correctly. But I don't know how to check this to see if my solution is correct. In a right triangle, I would add the angles up to see if they're equal to 180°, and use Pythagorean's Theorem to check the legs. However in this case, it's an oblique triangle and I can't use Pythagoeran's Theorem. So how can I check this?

Physics news on Phys.org
We haven't gone over that yet. I will look into that. You're saying I can check these solutions with it?

After playing around with it a little bit, it looks like my answers were correct (assuming I was using it correctly, but it seems pretty straight forward). Thank you!

What is an oblique triangle?

An oblique triangle is a triangle that does not have a right angle. It can have three acute angles, one obtuse angle and two acute angles, or one acute angle and two obtuse angles.

What is the process for solving an oblique triangle?

The process for solving an oblique triangle involves using the law of sines or the law of cosines to find the missing sides or angles. First, identify which law to use based on the given information. Then, use the formula to find the missing values. Finally, check your work using the other law or by using the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the law of sines and how is it used to solve an oblique triangle?

The law of sines states that the ratio of the sine of an angle to the length of the opposite side is the same for all angles in a triangle. This means that if you know the measure of an angle and the length of the opposite side, you can use the law of sines to find the length of the other sides. To use the law of sines, you need to know at least one angle and the length of the side opposite that angle.

What is the law of cosines and how is it used to solve an oblique triangle?

The law of cosines states that the square of a side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those two sides and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that if you know the lengths of two sides and the measure of the included angle, you can use the law of cosines to find the length of the third side. To use the law of cosines, you need to know the lengths of two sides and the measure of the included angle.

What are some common mistakes when solving an oblique triangle?

Some common mistakes when solving an oblique triangle include using the wrong law, using the wrong formula or incorrectly setting up the equations, rounding errors, and forgetting to check your work. It is important to carefully read the given information and choose the correct law to use, as well as double check your calculations and answers to ensure accuracy.