1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area under curve problem again

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equation of the curve which passes through the point (-1,0) and whose gradient at
    any point (x,y) is 3x2-6x+4. Find the area enclosed by the curve, the axis of x and the ordinates x=1 and x=2.

. The attempt at a solution

I integrated and got the equation of the curve to be x3 -3x2 +4x +8

Now to find the area I'm not sure what to do, I tried to sketch a graph but I couldn't.

I tried integrating from x=1 to x=2 and I got 2, which isn't the answer in the book :S.

Help greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2
    Which equation did you integrate? You are given the gradient of the curve at any point (x,y). You found the curve. Find the area closed by this curve and the x-axis.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    x^3 - 3x^2 +4x +8

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4
    Show the steps you made when you integrated this from x=1 to x=2 to result in the value 2.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    Integrate it again from x=1 to x=2. If you integrate 3x^2-6x+4 from x=1 to x=2, then you get the value 2. Knowing this, I asked you which equation did you integrate.

7. Feb 9, 2013 #6
    Sorry I intregrated 3x^2-6x+4 for x=1 to x=2 and got 2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook