Arithmetic mean and standard deviation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the arithmetic mean and standard deviation of the number of days lost due to sickness. The table provided shows the number of days lost in different ranges and their corresponding frequencies. The conversation also mentions the use of the mid-points of the classes to calculate the mean, as well as the concept of weighted means. The approach and answers provided by the person are confirmed to be correct, and they also express gratitude for having this forum as a resource for their studies.
LDC1972

Homework Statement

Showing all your working, calculate the arithmetic mean and standard deviation of the number of days lost.

Table shows man days lost to sickness..

Days lost: 1-3 4-6 7-9 10-12 13-15
Frequency 8 7 10 9 6

Homework Equations

n
They've given us this Ma = Ʃ = Xi / N
I=1

The Attempt at a Solution

The textbook they've supplied is really poor. They go into detail on all values centred around a single array. Obviously mine is a double...

So using Google and previous experience I've done this:

Taken medians of Days lost=

1-3 4-6 7-9 10-12 3-15
2 5 8 11 14 (medians)

median of frequency of days lost = 8 (central number as odd amount of numbers)

Multiplied median of days lost by frequency - (2x8) + (5x7) + (8x10) + 11x9) + (14x6) = 314

Summed frequency values 8 + 7 + 10 + 9 + 6 = 40 (Total frequency)

Divided 314/40 = 7.85 Arithmetic mean

Calculated variance
= median of days lost - Arithmetic mean

i.e 2 - 7.85 = 5.85 etc

Squared all results removing negative values to positive I.e -5.85^2 = 34.2225, did same for rest.

Multiplied squares by frequency i.e 34.2225 x 8 = 273.78 etc through the 5 values

Added all multiples 647.1

Divided multiples by 40 (the frequency) 64701/40 = 16.1775

Therefore σ2 = 16.1775 (The variance)

Calculated standard deviation by √16.1775 = 4.02212603

Basically if someone would be o kind as to confirm my approach and answers that'd be great But I don't expect anyone to spend hours on this!

Thanks for help if you can.

Lloyd

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you refer to as "taking the medians" is referred to in this setting as "using the mid-points of the classes" (or other writer-dependent language). The calculations then proceed as you've done.
The calculation for finding the mean is actually a use of the idea of "weighted means" - you may have luck finding more information by searching for that term.

statdad said:
What you refer to as "taking the medians" is referred to in this setting as "using the mid-points of the classes" (or other writer-dependent language). The calculations then proceed as you've done.
The calculation for finding the mean is actually a use of the idea of "weighted means" - you may have luck finding more information by searching for that term.

Thank you for the really fast reply.

I've stuck with the university's terminology. For my last assignment I didn't get a single question wrong but only got a merit, not a distinction - probably because I didn't follow their nonsense.

Others I've painfully followed their way and got distinctions.

So I'm sticking as close as I can to their terminology but agree with you 100%.

Trouble I my tutor is only available Fridays and Mondays and I missed him today. This is the lat exam of this module before exit interview and I'm going to voice my concerns!

Having this forum for the rest of the time is invaluable.

Thank you!

What is the arithmetic mean?

The arithmetic mean, also known as the average, is a measure of central tendency that is calculated by adding all the values in a set and then dividing by the number of values in the set.

What is the standard deviation?

The standard deviation is a measure of spread or variability in a set of data. It shows how much the values in a set deviate from the mean. A smaller standard deviation indicates that the values are close to the mean, while a larger standard deviation indicates that the values are more spread out.

How is the arithmetic mean calculated?

The arithmetic mean is calculated by adding all the values in a set and then dividing by the number of values in the set. This can be represented by the formula: mean = sum of values / number of values.

What is the relationship between arithmetic mean and standard deviation?

The standard deviation is calculated using the arithmetic mean. It is a measure of how much the values in a set deviate from the mean. A larger standard deviation indicates that the values are more spread out from the mean, while a smaller standard deviation indicates that the values are closer to the mean.

Why are arithmetic mean and standard deviation important in statistics?

Arithmetic mean and standard deviation are important in statistics because they provide useful information about a set of data. The mean gives an idea of the central value of the data, while the standard deviation gives an idea of how much the data is spread out. These measures help in understanding and interpreting data, making comparisons between different sets of data, and identifying outliers in a set of data.