Arrangements of numbers-odd and even positions

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter evinda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    even
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,741
Reaction score
0
Hello! :)

I am given the following exercise:
How many arrangements of the numbers $1,2,3, \dots, 2n-1,2n$ exist such that at the even positions there are only even numbers?
How many arrangements are there,such that at least at one position there is an even number? :confused:

Since, at the set $\{1,2,3, \dots, 2n-1,2n \}$,there are $n$ even numbers and $n$ odd ones,are there $n! \cdot n!$ arrangements,such that at the even positions there are only even numbers,right?

At the second subquestion,is it maybe $\binom{n}{1} \cdot (n-1)! \cdot n!$ ,or am I wrong? (Blush)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! :)

I am given the following exercise:
How many arrangements of the numbers $1,2,3, \dots, 2n-1,2n$ exist such that at the even positions there are only even numbers?
How many arrangements are there,such that at least at one position there is an even number? :confused:

Since, at the set $\{1,2,3, \dots, 2n-1,2n \}$,there are $n$ even numbers and $n$ odd ones,are there $n! \cdot n!$ arrangements,such that at the even positions there are only even numbers,right?

At the second subquestion,is it maybe $\binom{n}{1} \cdot (n-1)! \cdot n!$ ,or am I wrong? (Blush)

At the second subquestion,it is $(2n)!-n! \cdot n!$,right?
 
evinda said:
Hello! :)

I am given the following exercise:
How many arrangements of the numbers $1,2,3, \dots, 2n-1,2n$ exist such that at the even positions there are only even numbers?
How many arrangements are there,such that at least at one position there is an even number? :confused:

Since, at the set $\{1,2,3, \dots, 2n-1,2n \}$,there are $n$ even numbers and $n$ odd ones,are there $n! \cdot n!$ arrangements,such that at the even positions there are only even numbers,right?

At the second subquestion,is it maybe $\binom{n}{1} \cdot (n-1)! \cdot n!$ ,or am I wrong? (Blush)

evinda said:
At the second subquestion,it is $(2n)!-n! \cdot n!$,right?

Hi! ;)

If I take the question literally, there will always be a position where there is an even number, so that would be $(2n)!$ arrangements. :eek:

It seems there is a typo in the problem statement though.
Can it be that the question should be that at least at one even position there should be an even number? (Wondering)
 
I like Serena said:
Hi! ;)

If I take the question literally, there will always be a position where there is an even number, so that would be $(2n)!$ arrangements. :eek:

It seems there is a typo in the problem statement though.
Can it be that the question should be that at least at one even position there should be an even number? (Wondering)

Yes,that's what I meant..I forgot a word... (Lipssealed)
 
evinda said:
Yes,that's what I meant..I forgot a word... (Lipssealed)

Okay. Then it's all SOLVED I guess! (Whew)
 
I like Serena said:
Okay. Then it's all SOLVED I guess! (Whew)

Yes! (Party)