As if grizzlies and polar bears weren't enough

  • Thread starter Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 5K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,906
Reaction score
15
Canada obviously feeling inferior to Australia in the dangerous creature stakes have decided to go one better:

"Canadian scientist aims to turn chickens into dinosaurs"
http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Funded by KFC, which is currently investing in really big fryers.

:smile:

It's just our way of once and for all shutting up Bush and those idiots in Kansas who don't believe in evolution. Once we build a few T-Rex's, we're going to send them down there to eat the bastards. :biggrin:
 
From PhysOrg?

Gosh, the velociraptor attacks that xkcd comics were fearing may actually come true.

Awesome.
 
Chop chop! I want a baby dinosaur in time for Christmas.
 
Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one... I need to get in contact with this guy.
 
Sorry! said:
Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one... I need to get in contact with this guy.

Buying her a stuffed Sarrah from Land Before Time would probably be cheaper.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
Buying her a stuffed Sarrah from Land Before Time would probably be cheaper.

Stuffed with apples and breading you mean. Nom nom nom.
 
Sorry! said:
Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one... I need to get in contact with this guy.

Good way to get rid of her if you ever feel like :-p
 
Remember, a Tyrannosaurus Rex is for life - not just for christmas.
 
rootX said:
Good way to get rid of her if you ever feel like :-p

;) lol.

In all serious though what you guys think about this article? Even seem plausible?
 
Sorry! said:
;) lol.

In all serious though what you guys think about this article? Even seem plausible?

Actually getting a dinosaur? No. But getting some aspects of dinosaur anatomy? Maybe.

It's already been done with teeth. See Harris, M.P. et. al. (2006) The development of archosaurian first-generation teeth in a chicken mutant. in Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 21;16(4):371-7. Also a http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hens_teeth_not_so_rare_after_all_10081.html of the work.

chicken_with_teeth.jpg


Cheers -- Sylas

I hate to confess, but the image is a joke. The mutant birds have other severe development problems, and do not survive to hatch.

PS. Con: higher insurance premiums for poultry farmers. Pro: A drum stick will feed a family of seventeen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
sylas said:
Actually getting a dinosaur? No. But getting some aspects of dinosaur anatomy? Maybe.

It's already been done with teeth. See Harris, M.P. et. al. (2006) The development of archosaurian first-generation teeth in a chicken mutant. in Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 21;16(4):371-7. Also a http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hens_teeth_not_so_rare_after_all_10081.html of the work.

I hope nobody mistakes this Photoshop hack job as having anything to do with this article...the REAL pictures are much less shocking

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6879/40992804.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
junglebeast said:
I hope nobody mistakes this Photoshop hack job as having anything to do with this article...the REAL pictures are much less shocking

Anything to suck them in and have a laugh. IMO a joke is a good ice breaker and can encourage folks to go further into the fascinating details. (I did put a disclaimer underneath!)

Thanks for finding and posting the real images! -- cheers, sylas
 
mgb_phys said:
Canada obviously feeling inferior to Australia in the dangerous creature stakes

While I admit that Oz has a lot of really nasty, poisonous critters, and crocs, I think that I'd rather face one of them than a polar bear.
 
mgb_phys said:
Remember, a Tyrannosaurus Rex is for life - not just for christmas.

:smile: I think that one could have made the old David Letterman list of "lines that you never expected to hear".