Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

As if grizzlies and polar bears weren't enough

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Canada obviously feeling inferior to Australia in the dangerous creature stakes have decided to go one better:

"Canadian scientist aims to turn chickens into dinosaurs"
    http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

It's just our way of once and for all shutting up Bush and those idiots in Kansas who don't believe in evolution. Once we build a few T-Rex's, we're going to send them down there to eat the bastards. :biggrin:

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4
    From PhysOrg?

Gosh, the velociraptor attacks that xkcd comics were fearing may actually come true.

Awesome.

6. Aug 27, 2009 #5
    Chop chop! I want a baby dinosaur in time for Christmas.

7. Aug 27, 2009 #6
    Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one.... I need to get in contact with this guy.

8. Aug 27, 2009 #7
    Buying her a stuffed Sarrah from Land Before Time would probably be cheaper.

9. Aug 27, 2009 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Stuffed with apples and breading you mean. Nom nom nom.

10. Aug 27, 2009 #9
    Good way to get rid of her if you ever feel like :tongue2:

11. Aug 27, 2009 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember, a Tyrannosaurus Rex is for life - not just for christmas.

12. Aug 27, 2009 #11
    ;) lol.

In all serious though what you guys think about this article? Even seem plausible?

13. Aug 27, 2009 #12
    why not ?? dilbert already had one.

14. Aug 27, 2009 #13

sylas

Science Advisor

Actually getting a dinosaur? No. But getting some aspects of dinosaur anatomy? Maybe.

It's already been done with teeth. See Harris, M.P. et. al. (2006) The development of archosaurian first-generation teeth in a chicken mutant. in Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 21;16(4):371-7. Also a http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hens_teeth_not_so_rare_after_all_10081.html [Broken] of the work.

chicken_with_teeth.jpg

Cheers -- Sylas

I hate to confess, but the image is a joke. The mutant birds have other severe development problems, and do not survive to hatch.

PS. Con: higher insurance premiums for poultry farmers. Pro: A drum stick will feed a family of seventeen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Aug 27, 2009 #14
    I hope nobody mistakes this Photoshop hack job as having anything to do with this article....the REAL pictures are much less shocking

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6879/40992804.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Aug 27, 2009 #15

sylas

Science Advisor

Anything to suck them in and have a laugh. IMO a joke is a good ice breaker and can encourage folks to go further into the fascinating details. (I did put a disclaimer underneath!)

Thanks for finding and posting the real images! -- cheers, sylas

17. Aug 27, 2009 #16

Danger

Gold Member

While I admit that Oz has a lot of really nasty, poisonous critters, and crocs, I think that I'd rather face one of them than a polar bear.

18. Aug 27, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I think that one could have made the old David Letterman list of "lines that you never expected to hear".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook