As if grizzlies and polar bears weren't enough

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Canada obviously feeling inferior to Australia in the dangerous creature stakes have decided to go one better:

"Canadian scientist aims to turn chickens into dinosaurs"
http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
Funded by KFC, which is currently investing in really big fryers.

:rofl:

It's just our way of once and for all shutting up Bush and those idiots in Kansas who don't believe in evolution. Once we build a few T-Rex's, we're going to send them down there to eat the bastards. :biggrin:

From PhysOrg?

Gosh, the velociraptor attacks that xkcd comics were fearing may actually come true.

Awesome.

Chop chop! I want a baby dinosaur in time for Christmas.

Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one.... I need to get in contact with this guy.

Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one.... I need to get in contact with this guy.

Buying her a stuffed Sarrah from Land Before Time would probably be cheaper.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Buying her a stuffed Sarrah from Land Before Time would probably be cheaper.

Stuffed with apples and breading you mean. Nom nom nom.

Good way to get rid of her if you ever feel like :tongue2:

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Remember, a Tyrannosaurus Rex is for life - not just for christmas.

Good way to get rid of her if you ever feel like :tongue2:

;) lol.

In all serious though what you guys think about this article? Even seem plausible?

why not ?? dilbert already had one.

sylas
Science Advisor
;) lol.

In all serious though what you guys think about this article? Even seem plausible?

Actually getting a dinosaur? No. But getting some aspects of dinosaur anatomy? Maybe.

It's already been done with teeth. See Harris, M.P. et. al. (2006) The development of archosaurian first-generation teeth in a chicken mutant. in Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 21;16(4):371-7. Also a http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hens_teeth_not_so_rare_after_all_10081.html [Broken] of the work.

chicken_with_teeth.jpg

Cheers -- Sylas

I hate to confess, but the image is a joke. The mutant birds have other severe development problems, and do not survive to hatch.

PS. Con: higher insurance premiums for poultry farmers. Pro: A drum stick will feed a family of seventeen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually getting a dinosaur? No. But getting some aspects of dinosaur anatomy? Maybe.

It's already been done with teeth. See Harris, M.P. et. al. (2006) The development of archosaurian first-generation teeth in a chicken mutant. in Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 21;16(4):371-7. Also a http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hens_teeth_not_so_rare_after_all_10081.html [Broken] of the work.

I hope nobody mistakes this Photoshop hack job as having anything to do with this article....the REAL pictures are much less shocking

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6879/40992804.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
sylas
Science Advisor
I hope nobody mistakes this Photoshop hack job as having anything to do with this article....the REAL pictures are much less shocking

Anything to suck them in and have a laugh. IMO a joke is a good ice breaker and can encourage folks to go further into the fascinating details. (I did put a disclaimer underneath!)

Thanks for finding and posting the real images! -- cheers, sylas

Danger
Gold Member
Canada obviously feeling inferior to Australia in the dangerous creature stakes

While I admit that Oz has a lot of really nasty, poisonous critters, and crocs, I think that I'd rather face one of them than a polar bear.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Remember, a Tyrannosaurus Rex is for life - not just for christmas.

:rofl: I think that one could have made the old David Letterman list of "lines that you never expected to hear".