AS Mathematics - Core 1 - Indices Problems

In summary: Then type the number you want to raise to the second power, followed by the two indices, like this: 252. Then hit Enter.In summary, the person is struggling with their mathematics homework and is stumped on some questions. They have found some solutions so far, but are lost on some others. They need help understanding how to solve an equation and are asking for help. They are also asking for help with doing exponential notation.
novamatt
I am struggling with my mathematics indices homework. I think I have some correct answers so far but I'm pretty stumpted on some others. How would I go about solving the following equations.

Homework Statement

1) 25 to the [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{5 to the -4}{5 to the -5}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 25 to the [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{25}[/itex] = 5 i know that
i get lost on the next bit... i end up with
[itex]\frac{-625}{-3215}[/itex] and therefor
5 - [itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex] = 4[itex]\frac{4}5{}[/itex] but this is not in index form?? if i take it further...
[itex]\sqrt[5]{4}[/itex] to the 4 and from there i have no idea how to go further, plus i am positive I've gone wrong at a much earlier stage.

Physics news on Phys.org
novamatt said:
I am struggling with my mathematics indices homework. I think I have some correct answers so far but I'm pretty stumpted on some others. How would I go about solving the following equations.
Edited to make readable.
novamatt said:

Homework Statement

1) [tex]25^{1/2}- \frac{5^{-4}}{5^{-5}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 251/2 = [itex]\sqrt{25}[/itex] = 5 i know that
i get lost on the next bit... i end up with
[itex]\frac{-625}{-3215}[/itex] and therefor
5 - [itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex] = 4[itex]\frac{4}5{}[/itex] but this is not in index form?? if i take it further...
[itex]\sqrt[5]{4}[/itex] to the 4 and from there i have no idea how to go further, plus i am positive I've gone wrong at a much earlier stage.

Use the fact that a-n = 1/an.

Also, at this stage in mathematics, we pretty much never write things like 4 [itex]\frac{4}{5}[/itex]. It looks too much like 4 * 4/5. Instead of mixed numbers like this, improper fractions such as 24/5 are preferred.

thanks for the assistance its a bit late for me to crack on with the problem at the moment I will return tomorrow and have another go.

Could you please tell me how you put the 1/2 index power or direct me to a link where I can learn how to do this... is it simply html code like the ones provided on your symbol toolbar?

You can write exponents, as we in the US call them, by clicking Go Advanced, which opens another menu. Use the X2 button to make exponents.

1. What are indices in mathematics?

Indices, also known as powers or exponents, are a way of representing repeated multiplication in a more compact form. For example, 23 means 2 multiplied by itself 3 times, resulting in 8.

2. How do I solve problems involving indices?

To solve problems involving indices, you can use the laws of indices which state that when multiplying numbers with the same base, you add the exponents, and when raising a power to another power, you multiply the exponents. Additionally, when dividing numbers with the same base, you subtract the exponents.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative indices?

Positive indices are used to represent numbers greater than 1, while negative indices are used to represent numbers between 0 and 1. For example, 2-2 is equivalent to 1/22, which is equal to 1/4.

4. How do I simplify expressions with indices?

To simplify expressions with indices, you can use the laws of indices mentioned earlier. You can also use the fact that any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, and any number raised to the power of 1 is equal to itself.

5. Can indices be used with variables?

Yes, indices can be used with variables. The laws of indices still apply, so when multiplying or dividing variables with the same base, you can add or subtract the exponents. For example, x3 * x4 is equal to x7.