1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AS Mathematics - Core 1 - Indices Problems

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    I am struggling with my mathematics indices homework. I think I have some correct answers so far but I'm pretty stumpted on some others. How would I go about solving the following equations.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) 25 to the [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{5 to the -4}{5 to the -5}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) 25 to the [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{25}[/itex] = 5 i know that
    i get lost on the next bit... i end up with
    [itex]\frac{-625}{-3215}[/itex] and therefor
    5 - [itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex] = 4[itex]\frac{4}5{}[/itex] but this is not in index form?? if i take it further...
    [itex]\sqrt[5]{4}[/itex] to the 4 and from there i have no idea how to go further, plus i am positive i've gone wrong at a much earlier stage.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Edited to make readable.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3

Mark44

Use the fact that a-n = 1/an.

Also, at this stage in mathematics, we pretty much never write things like 4 [itex]\frac{4}{5}[/itex]. It looks too much like 4 * 4/5. Instead of mixed numbers like this, improper fractions such as 24/5 are preferred.

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4
    thanks for the assistance its a bit late for me to crack on with the problem at the moment I will return tomorrow and have another go.

Could you please tell me how you put the 1/2 index power or direct me to a link where I can learn how to do this... is it simply html code like the ones provided on your symbol toolbar?

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5

Mark44

You can write exponents, as we in the US call them, by clicking Go Advanced, which opens another menu. Use the X2 button to make exponents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook