1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AS Phyics Coursework-Sensor Project

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys, firs post here, like to say this seems to be nice forum, very helpful and friendly, hopefully It'll help me for months to come, and I can help as well. Suprised not to see any other topics on this, either that or my searching skills are naff, but down to business! I know this doesn't fit the format of how threads should be but this one has me stumped. I was recommended to do Physics but it's my weakest subject at A-Level, predicted a C, and that'll do very nicely ^_^, but of course, coursework is very important!

Basically, I'd like to do a simple coursework, something which will get me a solid average mark. I'm not looking for people to 'do this for me', but just some friendy helpful tips!

Cheers! :smile:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    I've done some research and decided to go with the rotary potentiometer used to measure water level. I am right in assuming I want to measure the P.D. in order to get my results, I'm just stuck on how my circuit diagram will look. Obviously I'll need a power source ;p, and a rotary potentiometer, a voltmeter to measure the P.D, but this seems a tad simplistice, what else do I need tom improve this.

EDIT: Didn't realise I could edit posts, sorry!! Thanks Again.

4. Feb 21, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Could you insert a link to the website where you found the information of using such for water level measurement? A rotary pot and its circuit is known to me, but I just want to get a better idea of how you want to adapt it to suit your measurement. Wikipedia mentions it use as follows in this respect

"One popular form of rotary potentiometer is called a string pot. It is a multi-turn potentiometer with an attached reel of wire turning against a spring. It's very convenient for measuring movement and therefore acts as a position transducer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

Also, how will this project fit in with Physics? What are the stipulations for such required coursework?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?