1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible Topics for Math Presentation/Project

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry, I'm not sure what section this should have went in, but it seemed like the homework/coursework section would be the most fitting. If not, please just move the post to the proper section.

I'm currently in 11th grade and am taking Calculus II/III and Linear Algebra in school. In May we have a math project/open house coming up where we choose, I presume, any topic in math and make a presentation about it. I would like a topic somewhat related to physics because I love physics! Shoot any possible suggestions at me.

For reference, here are some past projects:
    Solving Circuits with Laplace Transforms
    a few Encryption projects
    gabriels horn (not particularly interesting to me, but it demonstrates the mind boggling aspects of calculus and infinity)
    a mathematica replica of the T-Rex game (google)
    mathematica version of 2048
    math of raindrops
    one or two on Eulers formula

It seems like there are a quite a few projects that lean more towards programming, I would try to steer clear of a purely programming project because i suck at programming, but i intend to learn the wolfram language sooner or later so if there's anything interesting do post a reply!

I am also willing to learn some extra math on my own and present that topic instead.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My current partner has suggested looking into tensors as a possible presentation topic, which would require some extra learning but im fine with that.

My current knowledge in physics is limited to halliday resnick level EM(will be starting Purcell in March) and Kleppner level Mechanics. Any topic in Special/General Relativity is extremely interesting to us, although anything from GM may require quite a few weeks of cramming sophomore/junior undergraduate math. I am willing to invest a lot of time in this project. Hit me with all you got.

Cheers and have a nice day.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2
    It's tough to know what the teacher is looking for here.

I prefer to guide students to stretch a little bit into an area they can really understand rather than treat a topic where they talk about all the buzz words without having a clue about how the implementation details really work.

I bet you could handle a numerical spreadsheet integration in 2 dimensions treating projectile motion including air drag. That builds on freshmen physics in a straightforward manner in a way that you can really understand all the details and that is used all the time to predict the paths of real projectiles. It's also not hard to add a third dimension to handle the effects of wind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted