Ashcroft Just Resigned, It's A Great Day For America

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, President Bush has chosen White House counsel Alberto Gonzales to succeed Attorney General John Ashcroft. Gonzales is a prominent Hispanic in the administration and has previously served on Texas's supreme court. His moderate views have upset some hardline Republicans, but he has been praised by Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy for potentially bringing more accountability to the Justice Department. However, Gonzales has also advised Bush to declare that the Geneva Convention does not apply to suspected Al Qaeda members.
Physics news on Phys.org
Don Evans too...yippee !

Who says there is no worse than these two?

Mercator said:

Point. but there are better.

i will not miss ashcroft. Not in any way, shape, or form. Good riddance.

Mercator said:
Stop raining on my parade.

Imagine you're in London around '42, and the shelling's just stopped for the night. You're not going to say "well, who knows, maybe they ran out of the small bombs", you're going to celebrate and be merry!

Even if Bush appoints someone as bad as, or worse than Ashcroft, there will still be a precious few hours, or maybe even days, where our Constitution isn't being erroded by the attorney general, and I'm willing to cherish those hours or days.

Last edited:
wasteofo2 said:
Stop raining on my parade.

Imagine you're in London around '42, and the shelling's just stopped for the night. You're not going to say "well, who knows, maybe they ran out of the small bombs", you're going to celebrate and be merry!

Even if Bush appoints someone as bad as, or worse than Ashcroft, there will still be a precious few hours, or maybe even days, where our Constitution isn't being erroded.

A few days of pure joy.

Anyone want to put wagers on which will be the only Amendment(s) that Ashcroft's replacement doesn't trash?

I'm going to bet he leaves #2 alone, and he might keep the one that ended prohibition, but other than that, I dunno...

Waste, I think it is better to prepare for the big bombs. Specially if you know that the bomber just got permission to do as he pleases!

Mercator said:
Waste, I think it is better to prepare for the big bombs. Specially if you know that the bomber just got permission to do as he pleases!
Lemme have fun just for tonight. I'll sober up tomorrow and build a bigger shelter.

wasteofo2 said:
Anyone want to put wagers on which will be the only Amendment(s) that Ashcroft's replacement doesn't trash?

I'm going to bet he leaves #2 alone, and he might keep the one that ended prohibition, but other than that, I dunno...

Yeah, i aws going to say the one that ended prohibition.

wasteofo2 said:
Lemme have fun just for tonight. I'll sober up tomorrow and build a bigger shelter.

OK - maybe the Ashcroft as a 'future Supreme Court nominee thread' - can wait for tomorrow.

Tigers2B1 said:
OK - maybe the Ashcroft as a 'future Supreme Court nominee thread' - can wait for tomorrow.

OK now even i want to move to Canada.

Franz even you will be welcomed in Canada.

Smurf said:
Franz even you will be welcomed in Canada.

I have relatives there. They're great. Winnipeg is a bit cold for my tastes though.

Good, means your still human

I don't know if I'd go that far! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tsunami said:
I don't know if I'd go that far! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Me neither.

I just read on somebody's post at Slashdot that Ashcroft is resigning to prepare himself for the Supreme Court. What's the deal?

The_Professional said:
I just read on somebody's post at Slashdot that Ashcroft is resigning to prepare himself for the Supreme Court. What's the deal?

Maybe Winnipeg isn't that cold.

And I am between tears and laughter :cry: :rofl:

I was joshing about Ashcroft. The Republicans don't have the numbers to block a Democratic filibuster, and if Ashcroft was nominated we'd see one of those until 2008.

Ashcroft replacement --

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush has chosen White House counsel Alberto Gonzales, a Texas confidant and one of the most prominent Hispanics in the administration, to succeed Attorney General John Ashcroft, sources close to the White House said Wednesday….

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041110/D8694G201.html

Gonzales ? Brilliant ! Not that I know a whole bunch about Gonzales ...but I don't sense a drastic change in the direction that DoJ will be headed.

Any idea who's replacing Evans ? Another "buddy" perhaps ?

You'd like to think that wouldn't you. but your wrong, it'll be someone very capable that is in no way assossiated with Religion and Exxon.
Honest.

Wait...you forgot to include Enron!

(Gonzales was a legal counsellor for Enron.)

Wasteof O2, di you have a good party? Slept well? Hangover cured? So here's one word for you: Gonzales!
The good part: he still has to prove that he's worse than Ashcroft.

BTW: why do you still need Gonzales, as Ashcroft has stated that the goal of making Americans safe has been accomplished?

Mercator said:
Wasteof O2, di you have a good party? Slept well? Hangover cured?

Waste is not old enough to be wasted ! :wink:

Mercator said:
Wasteof O2, di you have a good party? Slept well? Hangover cured? So here's one word for you: Gonzales!
The good part: he still has to prove that he's worse than Ashcroft.

BTW: why do you still need Gonzales, as Ashcroft has stated that the goal of making Americans safe has been accomplished?

I originally thought "Great, an ol' buddy of Bush's".

Then I read a bit about him and have mixed feelings (as opposed to all negative feelings).

I read on CNN that his moderate views upset some more hardline republicans, and that as a member of Texas's supreme court, he ruled that there were some circumstances where teenage girls getting an abortion don't need to tell their parents, and defended it by saying that while he DISAGREED with the ruling he handed down, it wasn't his place to interject his opinion into his rulings, just do as the law specifies.

That, and I read a quote from Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont (the guy cheney told to fuk himself), saying that he respected Gonzales, and his taking Ashcroft's spot would be a welcome change in the least accountable Justice Department he's ever seen.

BUUUUUUUUUT, he also advised Bush to declare that the geneva convention didn't apply to suspected Al Qaeda members, or else Bush would be accountable for war crimes.

I was so hoping for Eliot Spitzer to get to be Attorney General, I guess the best we can hope for along the lines of Bi-Partisanship from Bush is someone who thinks the geneva convention is a quaint document.

What is the significance of Ashcroft resigning?

Ashcroft's resignation is significant because he was the Attorney General of the United States under President George W. Bush's administration. He oversaw the controversial Patriot Act and other policies related to national security and civil liberties.

Who will replace Ashcroft as Attorney General?

President Bush has nominated Alberto Gonzales, who currently serves as White House Counsel, to replace Ashcroft as Attorney General. Gonzales must be confirmed by the Senate before officially taking on the role.

Why is Ashcroft's resignation considered a great day for America?

Ashcroft's resignation is considered a great day for America by some because his policies and actions as Attorney General were highly controversial and divisive. His resignation opens the possibility for a new direction and leadership in the Department of Justice.

What impact did Ashcroft have on American politics and policies?

Ashcroft's impact on American politics and policies can be seen through his involvement in the passage of the Patriot Act, which expanded the government's surveillance and intelligence gathering powers. He also advocated for strict immigration policies and was known for his conservative views on social issues.

Will Ashcroft's resignation have any immediate effects on current policies?

It is unlikely that Ashcroft's resignation will have any immediate effects on current policies, as his replacement must still be confirmed by the Senate. However, it may lead to changes in the Department of Justice's approach to national security and civil liberties in the long term.