Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asinx + bcosy into single trig function

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    I know that asinx + bcosx can be put into a single trig fom, but can also the above sum be put into a single trig function?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

If you could convert it to this format:

A(cosy*sinx + siny*cosx)

then yes it could be converted to Asin(y+x) as an example.

However, that requires that a and b must have the following relationships:

a=Acosy and b=Asiny

which will not be true in the general case for any a and b.

4. Mar 5, 2015 #3
    Thanks Jedi
    I am looking for a general solution for any a and b. Is this possible? I have tried the above method but currently limited by the above restrictions.

5. Mar 5, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

I don't think there is any hope here. Usually this kind of problem might push someone to use Fourier methods but again your initial solution is probably optimal.

I am not one of the Math mentors but perhaps @Mark44 or @HallsofIvy would have a better answer to your problem.

6. Mar 5, 2015 #5

Mark44

Not that I'm aware of...

7. Mar 9, 2015 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

Off the top of my head: Let [itex] A=\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]a_{1}=\frac{a}{A}, b_{1}=\frac{b}{A} [/itex]. Then [itex]a_{1}^{2}+b_{1}^{2}=1 [/itex], therefore you can find an angle φ such that a1=cos(φ) and b1=sin(φ).
    ∴a⋅sin(x)+b⋅cos(x) = A(cos(φ)sin(x)+sin(φ)cos(x))=A⋅sin(φ+x).

8. Mar 9, 2015 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

Actually it is: [itex]\tan y = b/a[/itex] (there exists exactly one such [itex]y \in (-\pi/2, \pi/2)[/itex] for each possible choice of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b \neq 0[/itex]) and [itex]A = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex].

See also here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook