An integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions

In summary: You can use integration by parts to solve this integral, but you might need to use it several times with different choices of parts. It may also be helpful to use the gamma function in the final solution.
b3n5p34km4n
I'm working with the integral from 0 to infinity of

t^(x-1)e^(-atcos(b))cos(atsin(b))

with respect to t. specifically, I'm asked to solve in terms of the gamma function. my question is more of what general technique i should use. all I've been able to do so far is beat it to death using integration by parts, with several different choices for the parts. the main problem i see here is the trig function within the trig function. any insights?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless b is a function of t, the integrand is t^(x-1) * e^(-A1*t) * cos(A2*t), where A1 = a*cos(b) and A2 = a*sin(b), and both A1 and A2 are constants.

b3n5p34km4n said:
I'm working with the integral from 0 to infinity of

t^(x-1)e^(-atcos(b))cos(atsin(b))

with respect to t. specifically, I'm asked to solve in terms of the gamma function. my question is more of what general technique i should use. all I've been able to do so far is beat it to death using integration by parts, with several different choices for the parts. the main problem i see here is the trig function within the trig function. any insights?

thanks in advance.

You are integrating with respect to t, so the sin(b) and cos(b) are constants. The trig-inside-a-trig is illusionary.

1. What is an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions?

An integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions is a type of mathematical expression that involves the use of exponential and trigonometric functions within other trigonometric functions. It is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to solve complex problems.

2. What is the purpose of using an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions?

The purpose of using an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions is to simplify complex mathematical expressions and solve problems that cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods. It also allows for the determination of area under a curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How is an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions solved?

An integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions is typically solved using various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The specific method used depends on the structure of the integral.

4. What are some common examples of an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions?

Some common examples of an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions include integrals involving exponential functions raised to a power, trigonometric functions raised to a power, and products of trigonometric functions. Other examples may involve inverse trigonometric functions or hyperbolic trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any special properties or rules that apply to an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions?

Yes, there are several special properties and rules that apply to an integral with exponential, and trig functions within trig functions. These include the power rule, which states that the integral of a function raised to a power is equal to the function raised to the next higher power divided by the value of that power, as well as various trigonometric identities and integration techniques.