Asking for help in neuroscience`s self-study

• Thread starter david4321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-study
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is interested in neuroscience but currently studying math. They are seeking advice on whether it is possible to learn about neuroscience while pursuing their degree and are looking for recommendations on books that cover the theoretical side of neuroscience and use mathematical methods. Some suggestions given include "Theoretical Neuroscience" by Dayan, "Dynamical Systems in Neuroscience" by Izhikivech, and "The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks" by Arbib.
david4321
Hi everyone!

I`m an undergraduate who has always been interested in neuroscience, though i`m currently studying Maths. I`ve decided to post in this forum as i`d seen some useful advice with regard to that topic.
Anyway, my request would be the next: do you think it is possible to learn a quite amount of neuroscience (with a focus on its theoretical side) while doing my degree? Then, if so, what books would you recommend for self-study? A list with some of them would be very appreciated (i have in mind things like the kandel`s "principles of neuroscience" to begin with, but i have no idea about how to go deeper).
And, finally, being more specific, do you know about books that provide a kind of step by step approach to theoretical neuroscience, covering the Mathematical methods used in understanding the brain?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
"theoretical neuroscience" by Dayan.
"dynamical systems in neuroscience" by Izhikivech
"the handbook of brain theory and neural networks" by Arbib

1. How can I effectively study neuroscience on my own?

Studying neuroscience on your own can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. First, create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay on track and cover all the necessary material. Second, use a variety of resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and study groups to supplement your learning. Third, actively engage with the material by taking notes, creating flashcards, and practicing with sample questions.

2. What are the essential topics to cover in self-studying neuroscience?

Some essential topics to cover in self-studying neuroscience include neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, neural communication, brain development, and cognitive processes. It is also important to have a basic understanding of research methods and statistical analysis in neuroscience.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying neuroscience?

Staying motivated while self-studying neuroscience can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate your accomplishments along the way. Find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. And remember to take breaks and engage in self-care to avoid burnout.

4. Are there any online resources available for self-studying neuroscience?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-studying neuroscience. Some popular options include online courses, virtual lectures, and interactive tutorials. You can also find helpful study guides, practice exams, and review materials on various websites and forums dedicated to neuroscience.

5. How can I test my knowledge and understanding of neuroscience while self-studying?

There are several ways to test your knowledge and understanding of neuroscience while self-studying. You can create your own practice quizzes and tests based on the material you have covered. Many online resources also offer practice questions and exams. Additionally, you can try teaching the material to someone else or participating in study groups to discuss and review concepts.