ASOE Physics Exam Q - Diagram for Constructive Interference

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about constructive interference between two speakers in Graham's radio. The question asks for a diagram showing where constructive interference occurs and the given answer is provided. The asker also shares their own attempt at the solution and asks for clarification on the concept of constructive interference. The conversation ends with a link to a resource explaining the concept of constructive interference between two sound sources.
TEKNO
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data

So I am studying for the ASOE physics test. I came across the following question where I can't really understand the answer to it:

Graham’s radio has 2 speakers, separated by a distance d. Draw a diagram showing where there will be constructive interference between the sound from the two speakers when it is playing. Make sure you label your diagram carefully. Consider only the interference pattern in the air.
The actual answer is: http://prntscr.com/fum35c

Could someone help me and explain what they are talking about? Is this just a different format of drawing to the same point.

Homework Equations

Constructive Interference?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I drew something like this: http://prntscr.com/fum2ha

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are two different versions of the same idea. Note that the question just wants you to show the points of constructive interference, not the full interference pattern.

You might want to read this: Two Point Source Interference

1. What is constructive interference in physics?

Constructive interference is a phenomenon in which two or more waves of the same frequency and amplitude overlap and combine to produce a larger amplitude. This results in a wave with a higher intensity and energy than either of the individual waves.

2. How is constructive interference represented on a diagram?

In a diagram for constructive interference, the individual waves are represented as lines with the same frequency and amplitude. The overlapping region, where the waves combine, is represented by a larger and more intense line. This larger line represents the resulting wave with constructive interference.

3. What factors affect the degree of constructive interference?

The degree of constructive interference is affected by the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the individual waves. When these factors are in sync, the interference will be stronger, resulting in a larger amplitude and more intense wave.

4. How does constructive interference differ from destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves combine to produce a larger amplitude, while destructive interference occurs when two waves cancel each other out and result in a smaller or zero amplitude. This is due to the difference in phase between the two waves.

5. What are some real-life examples of constructive interference?

One example of constructive interference is the formation of standing waves, such as in musical instruments or on the surface of a body of water. Another example is the use of noise-cancelling headphones, which use constructive interference to cancel out external noise and produce a quieter environment.