Assistance needed with Paraplegic Wheelchair Design

In summary, the biggest difficulty is controlling the wheelchair without arms or legs. Another idea is to use a person's body weight to move the wheelchair, but this would be difficult to achieve. A ratchet on the wheels to hold the wheelchair in place would be a great idea, and a wheel lock would be helpful too.
ajbloomy
I wanted to design a wheelchair that can move without the use of the arms. Instead I wanted to design a chair that can be controlled using a person's body weight, like a segway. Apart from using micro-sensors and computers like a segway does can anybody think of another way of designing a wheelchair that can be controlled with only a person's body weight.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can put force sensors at varied chair locations in contact with the body: buttock, back, shoulder blades...

The biggest difficulty I see, independently of where and how, is that the user wants to do more in the chair than move. You need some way to tell the chair not to interpret every move as a control. When doing something else with the arms (your aim I suppose) the rest of the body move as well.

A very accessible big switch would be a disappointing solution, I feel.

Thanks for the thoughts

What muscles can the person use? Head and facial muscles? What muscles can he use below the neck? Have you considered the use of blow tubes at the person's mouth? Blowing into different tubes could be detected and used to control the motion.

A friend of mine needed a wheelchair for a while and remarked there is one thing that could be improved. He said when going up or down a wheelchair ramp, it is difficult to hold the wheelchair with one hand while moving the other hand back to get another grip on the wheel. If the ramp is somewhat steep or the person's arm strength is weak, the wheelchair tends to rotate. What is needed is a ratchet on the wheels that will hold the wheelchair in place while the user moves his hands back to get another grip. It would be nice to also have a wheel lock so the person doesn't have to use his strength to hold the wheelchair in place while stopped on a slope.

Considering some of the concerns already posted, an alternative thoughtrickier to implement could possibly be along this line

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/brain-controlled-gadgets/

this wouldn't require use of the body allowing greater flexibility in who can use, among the various wheel chair users

The design brief states that the user must be able to control the wheelchair with something other than their arms or legs. The idea of a self locking wheel is a great idea and could be included in this design.
One idea I had originally was to use a person's body weight to move the wheelchair. This idea could be achieved if the wheelchair's base was essentially a large ball that was free to roll in any direction. The problem is then how to make the wheelchair stable.
My dilemma is that I'd like to design a wheel chair for this brief but I don't have the skillset required to use minicomputers or micro-sensors.

I have some concerns on a pressure based control system myself.

1) What if the person is bumped?
2) What if the person passes out and leans over?
3) gusts of strong wind?
4) different elevations ie downhill as opposed to up hill.

One more concern: What if the person sneezes? Would that propel him and his chair out into the intersection with traffic?

1. What are the main challenges in designing a wheelchair for paraplegics?

The main challenges in designing a wheelchair for paraplegics include ensuring proper stability and balance for the user, accommodating different levels of paralysis and mobility, and providing comfortable and efficient propulsion methods.

2. How can the wheelchair be customized for individual needs?

The wheelchair can be customized by adjusting the seat height and angle, adding supports for different body parts, and incorporating specialized features such as hand controls or tilt-in-space mechanisms.

3. What materials are commonly used for paraplegic wheelchair design?

The most commonly used materials for paraplegic wheelchair design include aluminum, steel, and titanium for the frame, and various types of foam, fabric, and cushioning for the seat and backrest.

4. What measures are taken to ensure safety in paraplegic wheelchair design?

To ensure safety, paraplegic wheelchairs undergo rigorous testing and certification processes, and are designed with features such as anti-tip bars, secure seat belts, and reliable braking systems.

5. How does the design of a paraplegic wheelchair impact the user's daily life?

The design of a paraplegic wheelchair can greatly impact the user's daily life by providing increased independence, mobility, and comfort. It can also affect the user's mental and emotional well-being by promoting self-confidence and a sense of control over their mobility.