Assistance required for following

• Thread starter faisal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assistance
In summary, the conversation involves three questions related to area and volume conversions using scientific notation. The correct answers to the questions are a) 5x10*6m2, a) 4x10*6mm3, and d) 5x10-2m2, respectively. The conversation also touches on using prefixes in scientific notation and converting units to regular SI units. Some confusion arises from incorrect answer choices given in the book.
faisal
assistance required for following please

3 questions that have driven me up the wall

Homework Statement

0.5km2 is the same area as
a)5x10*6m2
b)5x10*12mm2
c)5x10*9cm2
d)5x10*13mm2

Homework Equations

10*6m=1km2

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5x10*6= 500,000 the answer is a) i don't understand what iv done wrong

q2

Homework Statement

0.04m3 is the same volume as
a)4x10*6mm3
b)40dm3
c)4x105cm3
d)4x10*2dm3

Homework Equations

in 1m3=10*9mm
1x10*9x0.04=4x10*7??

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is a)

Homework Statement

5x10*8mm2 is the same as
a)500cm2
b)5x10-4km2
c)5m2
d)5x10-2m2
my workings
10*6mm=1m2
1/10*6=1x10-6
1x10-6x5x10*8=5x10*2
the answer is d my answer doesn't come as -2 as it should

Physics news on Phys.org
common guyz I'm dying

Your solution is correct, if there was a choice for meters squared.

You'll need to convert that to mm^s, or cm^2 in order to determine which choice is correct. Working within scientific notation makes it easier, i.e rather than .5 km^2, you could write it as .5 * (10^3 m) ^2
When you square a number with an exponent, you multiply the exponents. Thus, 10^3 squared is 10^6. Thus that equals .5 * 10^6 or in proper scientific notation, 5 * 10^5

the prefix "kilo" can be replaced with 10^3
the prefix "centi" can be replaced with 10^-2
and the prefix "milli" can be replaced with 10^-3

It might be quicker to just convert everything (the choices) to regular SI units.

Thus, something like 15 cubic millimeters would look like this
15 * (10^-3 meters)^3 = 15* 10^-9m^3 or 1.5*10^-8m^3

drpizza said:
Your solution is correct, if there was a choice for meters squared.

You'll need to convert that to mm^s, or cm^2 in order to determine which choice is correct. Working within scientific notation makes it easier, i.e rather than .5 km^2, you could write it as .5 * (10^3 m) ^2
When you square a number with an exponent, you multiply the exponents. Thus, 10^3 squared is 10^6. Thus that equals .5 * 10^6 or in proper scientific notation, 5 * 10^5

the prefix "kilo" can be replaced with 10^3
the prefix "centi" can be replaced with 10^-2
and the prefix "milli" can be replaced with 10^-3

It might be quicker to just convert everything (the choices) to regular SI units.

Thus, something like 15 cubic millimeters would look like this
15 * (10^-3 meters)^3 = 15* 10^-9m^3 or 1.5*10^-8m^3

if my methods are correcct why are all my answers wrong?

0.5*10^6 is not 5*10^6

when you say "the answer is x" are you talking about the choice you believe is the correct answer or are you talking about the answer given by the book. If the latter, they are all wrong. Perhaps you are looking at the wrong part of the answer list?

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "assistance required for following"?

Assistance required for following refers to a request for help or support in understanding or completing a specific task, project, or activity.

2. Who typically requests assistance for following?

Anyone can request assistance for following, but it is most commonly requested by individuals who are new to a task or project, or by those who are facing challenges in completing it.

3. What types of assistance can be requested for following?

Assistance for following can take various forms, such as guidance, advice, training, resources, or hands-on support. It depends on the specific needs of the person requesting assistance.

4. How can I provide effective assistance for following?

To provide effective assistance for following, it is important to actively listen to the person's needs, ask clarifying questions, and provide relevant and clear instructions or resources. It is also helpful to follow up and offer ongoing support if needed.

5. What should I do if I am unable to provide assistance for following?

If you are unable to provide assistance for following, it is important to communicate this to the person and offer alternative solutions or refer them to someone who may be able to help. It is also important to be honest and transparent about your abilities and limitations.