Assistance required about MS PortMon software

In summary, the person is seeking assistance with using the "PortMon" software from Microsoft for capturing data from a RS232 port on their laptop. They have encountered a problem with the software displaying "Not Connected" and are looking for guidance on how to use it and make it "Connected". They also mention that RS232 ports require specific pin configurations for data transfer to occur and provide resources for understanding and controlling RS232 devices.
signode
Assistance required about MS "PortMon" software

Hi;

I want to capture data following via RS232 port (in Hex form) of my Laptop for an application. Hyperterminal don't fulfill my requirement. There is a software named "PortMon" of Microsoft is available but i am facing a problem with this software that when i run it, "Not Connected" displays at the top bar. I have seen this software running with laptop of another person with "Connected" and capturing data. Please guide me how to use this software and how to make it "Connected"

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is MS PortMon software?

MS PortMon software is a diagnostic tool developed by Microsoft that monitors and logs all serial and parallel port activity on a Windows operating system. It is commonly used for troubleshooting issues with hardware devices connected to a computer's ports.

2. How do I download and install MS PortMon software?

MS PortMon software can be downloaded from the Microsoft website or other reliable sources. Once downloaded, simply double-click the installer and follow the instructions to install the software on your computer.

3. How do I use MS PortMon software?

After installation, open the MS PortMon software and click on the "Capture" menu. Select the ports you want to monitor and click "Start." The software will then begin logging all port activity. You can also use the "Filter" menu to specify certain criteria for the logged data.

4. Can MS PortMon software be used on all versions of Windows?

No, MS PortMon software is only compatible with Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003. It cannot be used on newer versions of Windows such as Windows 10.

5. Is there a cost for using MS PortMon software?

No, MS PortMon software is available for free download from Microsoft and can be used without any additional cost.