Strain Gauging Assistance Required

In summary, the conversation discusses the attachment of a full Wheatstone bridge to the underside of a cantilever beam for strain gauging. The question of where to mount the gauges and their orientation is raised, along with the use of I-Y-I tabs and the potential for temperature sensitivity. The suggested solution is to use a triple gauge rosette to eliminate errors associated with mounting angle.
george1989
Hi All

I am a mechanical engineering student and require to attach a full Wheatstone bridge to the underside of a cantilever beam, 103x27x5 mm LxWxH. Where would be the best location to mount the gauges?, also in which orientation should I mount them? All parallel to the length of the beam? All perpendicular? 2 parallel, 2 perpendicular? Also I have been reading a bit about I-Y-I tabs used for strain gauging and am a bit lost.

Any help / direction to relevant information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

George

Engineering news on Phys.org
This may help.

http://www.omega.com/techref/pdf/StrainGage_Measurement.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using a rosette or a single gauge? If you are using a single gauge, you will notice that it is designed to work in one direction. Using two gauges are mounted in the single gauge solution because they are very sensitive to temperature changes. The angle that it is bonded to the surface is very critical for reliable results. I recommend using a triple gauge rosette to get rid of any errors associated with mounting angle.

What is strain gauging?

Strain gauging is a method of measuring the strain or deformation of an object by attaching a strain gauge to it. The strain gauge measures the change in electrical resistance as the object is deformed, which can then be used to calculate the amount of strain.

Why is strain gauging important?

Strain gauging provides valuable information about the performance and structural integrity of objects under stress. It is commonly used in engineering and scientific research to measure the effects of forces such as tension, compression, and bending on various materials.

How does strain gauging work?

Strain gauging works by applying a strain gauge to an object and connecting it to a Wheatstone bridge circuit. As the object is deformed, the electrical resistance of the strain gauge changes, causing an imbalance in the bridge circuit. This change in resistance can be measured and used to calculate the strain on the object.

What are the applications of strain gauging?

Strain gauging has a wide range of applications, including structural testing of buildings, bridges, and aircraft, as well as monitoring the strain on mechanical components such as engines and turbines. It is also used in biomechanics to study the strain on human bones and muscles.

What are the different types of strain gauges?

There are several types of strain gauges, including foil strain gauges, semiconductor strain gauges, and thin film strain gauges. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. Additionally, there are also different configurations of strain gauges, such as single element or multiple element gauges, that can be used depending on the specific measurement needed.