Assume that f is non-negative on (0,1)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mansi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mansi
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Hello...I need help and I know this is a very simple problem...I don't know why I'm getting stuck( Maybe because it's past midnight here:frown: )

Assume that f is non-negative on (0,1) and the third derivative of f exists on (0,1).If f(x)=0 for at least 2 values of x in (0,1), show that there exists "c" in (0,1) such that the third derivative of f at c is 0.

this is what I've done...let a,b be the points where f vanishes. that is f(a)=f(b)=0
so we can use Rolle's theorem and get a point p such that f^(p)=0.

What next??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
draw a picture: hint it is non-negative and touches the x-axis twice (necessarily at local minima)