Assume that f is non-negative on (0,1)

• Thread starter mansi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing the existence of a point "c" in the interval (0,1) where the third derivative of a non-negative function f is equal to 0. The conversation mentions using Rolle's theorem and drawing a picture to understand the problem better.
mansi
Hello...I need help and I know this is a very simple problem...I don't know why I'm getting stuck( Maybe because it's past midnight here:frown: )

Assume that f is non-negative on (0,1) and the third derivative of f exists on (0,1).If f(x)=0 for at least 2 values of x in (0,1), show that there exists "c" in (0,1) such that the third derivative of f at c is 0.

this is what I've done...let a,b be the points where f vanishes. that is f(a)=f(b)=0
so we can use Rolle's theorem and get a point p such that f^(p)=0.

What next??

Physics news on Phys.org
draw a picture: hint it is non-negative and touches the x-axis twice (necessarily at local minima)

First of all, don't worry about getting stuck on a problem. It's completely normal and happens to everyone, especially when it's late at night. Take a deep breath and approach the problem with a clear mind.

Now, let's continue with your solution. Since we have established that there exists a point p such that f^(p)=0, we can use Rolle's theorem again on the interval (a,p) and (p,b). This will give us two more points q and r such that f^(q)=f^(r)=0.

Now, let's consider the interval (q,r). Since f is non-negative on (0,1), f^(3) will also be non-negative on (0,1). This means that if we take the average of q and r, let's call it c, then f^(3)(c) will be greater than or equal to 0.

But we also know that f^(3)(q)=f^(3)(r)=0, so f^(3) must have a local maximum or minimum at c. Since f^(3) is continuous on (0,1) and has a local maximum or minimum at c, it must also have a critical point at c. This means that f^(3)(c)=0.

Therefore, we have shown that there exists a point c in (0,1) such that the third derivative of f at c is 0. I hope this helps! Just remember to take your time and approach the problem step by step. Good luck!

1. What does it mean for f to be non-negative on (0,1)?

When f is non-negative on (0,1), it means that the output of the function is always greater than or equal to zero for all values between 0 and 1. In other words, the graph of the function will never dip below the x-axis within this interval.

2. Why is it important for f to be non-negative on (0,1)?

Having a non-negative function on (0,1) is important because it allows us to use certain mathematical techniques and formulas, such as the integral and mean value theorem, to analyze the behavior of the function. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and does not produce negative results for certain inputs.

3. Can f be negative on values outside of (0,1)?

Yes, f can be negative on values outside of (0,1). The restriction of being non-negative only applies to the interval (0,1) and does not necessarily hold for other intervals or for values outside of the real number line.

4. How can we determine if f is non-negative on (0,1) graphically?

To determine if f is non-negative on (0,1) graphically, we can plot the function on a graph and check if the graph stays above the x-axis for all values between 0 and 1. If there are any points where the graph dips below the x-axis, then the function is not non-negative on (0,1).

5. Does being non-negative on (0,1) guarantee that f is increasing on this interval?

No, being non-negative on (0,1) does not guarantee that f is increasing on this interval. The function can have positive and negative slopes within this interval, as long as it stays above the x-axis. It is possible for the function to be non-decreasing or non-increasing on (0,1) without being strictly increasing.