Solve Image of f(x)=-2(x+1)/(x-1)^2 in x from [0,1)U(1,3]

In summary, the function f(x)=-2(x+1)/(x-1)^2 with x in the interval [0,1)U(1,3] has an image of (-infinity, -2]. To find this, one can use the derivative f'(x)=2(x+3)/(x-1)^3 and observe that f'(x)<0 when x is in the interval [0,1) and f'(x)>0 when x is in the interval (1,3]. This means that f(x) is decreasing on [0,1) and increasing on (1,3], with f(0)=f(3)=-2 and f(x) approaching -infinity as x approaches 1
Vali
I have the next function:
f(x)= -2(x+1)/(x-1)^2
x is from [0,1)U(1,3]
I need to find the image of the function which is (-infinity, -2].I tried with the derivative but when I solve f'(x)=0 I obtain x=-3 which is not from x interval.I don't know how to continue.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I presume you got
$$f'(x)\ =\ \frac{2(x+3)}{(x-1)^3}$$
which is correct. Notice that $f'(x)<0$ when $x\in[0,\,1)$ and $f'(x)>0$ when $x\in(1,\,3]$. So $f(x)$ is decreasing on $[0,\,1)$ and increasing on $(1,\,3]$. Also, $f(0)=f(3)=-2$ and $f(x)\to-\infty$ as $x$ tends to $1$ from either side. From these, you should be able to piece together the range of $f(x)$.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

1. What is the domain of the function f(x)=-2(x+1)/(x-1)^2?

The domain of this function is [0,1)U(1,3). This means that the function is defined for all values of x between 0 and 1, including 0, and for all values of x between 1 and 3, but not including 3.

2. What is the range of the function f(x)=-2(x+1)/(x-1)^2?

The range of this function is all real numbers except for -2. This is because the function is undefined at x=1 and approaches -2 as x approaches either 0 or 3.

3. What is the behavior of the function as x approaches 1?

As x approaches 1, the function approaches infinity. This is because the denominator of the function becomes very close to 0, making the value of the function very large.

4. What are the critical points of the function f(x)=-2(x+1)/(x-1)^2?

The critical points of this function are x=0 and x=3. These are the points where the function changes direction and the slope of the graph is 0.

5. How can I graph the function f(x)=-2(x+1)/(x-1)^2?

To graph this function, you can plot the critical points at x=0 and x=3, and then use the behavior of the function at these points to determine the shape of the graph. You can also plot a few additional points to get a better understanding of the graph. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to graph the function quickly and accurately.