Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronaut charged with attempted kidnapping

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/05/space.love/index.html

Obviously our government was successful in choosing mentally balanced candidates for our astronaut corp.

Good thing they weren't mounting a mission to mars.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2
    I thought the post said Astronuc is arrested, I was like :surprised whaaa:rofl:

Well it's pretty sad, but love makes fools of us all....

4. Feb 6, 2007 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only 99.7% of the time. (about 320 past and current astronauts, not counting other countries astronauts, civilian passengers, etc)

5. Feb 6, 2007 #4
    Man, that's intense. Her car was packed with all kinds of props to help with the kidnapping including diapers she was going to force the victim to wear to eliminate the need for rest stops along the way.

6. Feb 6, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Obviously something snapped along the way. I guess it proves a point that the right person can turn anyone into a blundering, idiotic common criminal.

How she made it to the rank of Captain is beyond me.

Oh. I just figured it out. Obviously, on her flight to the ISA, she was obviously irradiated by a stray cloud of gamma particles that is slowly turning her into a super villain.

7. Feb 6, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:bugeye: She is married!?!?! :surprised And she wants to keep the other woman from a guy with whom she is somehow involved? :eek:

Edit: Apparently she will be charged with attempted murder!

I think she needs some serious psychiatric intervention.

Very sad. :frown:

Yeah. Obviously I will have to make NASA and the rest of the world to change the word "astronaut" in order to avoid any conflict or confusion in the future. For the record - I had nothing to do with this. I don't even know these people. :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  8. Feb 6, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NASA has rescheduled her for a 2027 flight.

9. Feb 6, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

some joker put this in wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak

10. Feb 6, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thats Funny!!!

11. Feb 6, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's just wrong. :rofl:

I can see a 'made for cable television' movie coming out soon. What a bizarre turn of events in less than a year!

12. Feb 6, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That can't be right - she'd be 63! What are those people thinking - or are they even thinking?

I would imagine that she will get a medical leave or discharge.

Edit:
    I don't think she'll be able to make it.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2852454&page=1
    :uhh:

13. Feb 6, 2007 #12
    The rest of the world already changed to cosmonaut long ago. The word astronaut doesn't really make sense (if ever they do travel to a star I hope they go at night so they don't get burned up). But then cosmonaut isn't specific enough as we are all, in a sense, cosmonauts. If we don't come up with something quick, there's a danger it will become naughtynaut. I suggest "ex-pat".

14. Feb 6, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just occurred to me; "some joker" did it. :wink:

Whatever you say JokesAreHard.

15. Feb 6, 2007 #14
    Now that would be news :rofl:

I cant decide what is more Sad, this managed to get on the news, or what the stupid woman did. I guess that the article managed to make the news, at least the woman can say it was a crime of passion, whats the tabloids excuses?

16. Feb 6, 2007 #15
    hahaha... Sarcasim from an American.. Someone call the papers, I think we have some *real* news this time :rofl:

17. Feb 6, 2007 #16

verty

Homework Helper

Don't you think it makes good news?

18. Feb 6, 2007 #17
    Errmm.. Nope, was I not clear enough for you :smile:

19. Feb 6, 2007 #18
    Don't be so cynical one of the most cynical and sarcastic persons I ever had the fortune or misfortune to "meet" was from New York or more correctly talk to over the internet phone methods, there you can be sure sarcasm is alive and well:smile:

On the other hand I was online once and making some really obviously false statements and was accused of being a liar and a cheat by an American, so it varies from place to place, but some of those damned Yankees get the humour in sarcasm :wink: they're getting better at it than us, if it isn't bad enough that they steal our great comedians, they're stealing our culture too, and what do we get Starsky and bloody Hutch,24, BattleStar Galictica, House:grumpy:, and an increasing gun culture :wink::biggrin::lol:

20. Feb 6, 2007 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It certainly calls into question NASA's ability to screen for psychological problems. Since NASA is funded by tax payer dollars, we are not only interested, as the owners we have a right and a need to know.

21. Feb 6, 2007 #20

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Astronuc's been charged with WHAT?!

Oh, my mistake, I just read it wrong. :redface: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?